Friday, December 22, 2017

Some Clothes, Some Baking, etc.

That green tomato mincemeat I made and froze back at the end of summer? I knew it was a good idea. Having small packets I can defrost and use as-needed has been a great time-saver. I really want to make mincemeat tamales for Christmas morning, but I suspect the boys would prefer their usual limpa bread and stollen. Anyway, from now on it is frozen mincemeat for us-worked great!
I also baked Pulla buns. The cardamom buns are topped with a mixture of butter and sugar, then glazed and scattered with psrlsocker-in case they weren't sweet enough😏. I froze two dozen which should see us through winter along with the frozen panettone.

 Finally wore the crushed velvet palazzo pants. These are once-a-year trousers, so I got that out of the way.

Outfit Particulars:
Trousers-Bloomingdale's, early 90's
Poloneck-Can't remember
Lace jacket-Goodwill
Belt-?
Boots and hat-Both K Mart
Fragrance-L'Origan


 sooner or later I had to wear the plaid walking shorts. To avoid re-visiting an 80's preppy look, I wore them with a beaded top that must weigh five pounds. Definitely not preppy.
 What's this? Another red coat? This one is a polyester raincoat that has a matching maxi-skirt. I miss the 70's when you could get a coat to match your skirt. There's the sweetest red and white polka dot lining. The scarf was something I bought for Mr. ETB that he never wore.
Outfit Particulars:
1970's coat-New Life Thrift
1980's wool shorts-Goodwill
Boots-K Mart
Beaded 80's top-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage Shiny Brite Christmas Corsage-Thrift World
Ornament earrings-Big Lots, I think

I like shiny things. This 80's evening coat is just my style. The hem is wired to make it even puffier,
Best thing to wear with gold? More gold, obviously.

Outfit Particulars:
Cachet 80's coat-New Life Thrift
Skirt-Goodwill
Boots-Goodwill
80's beaded jacket-Goodwill
1960's polo neck with zip back-Goodwill
Lion handbag-New Life Thrift

We had a light dusting of snow, but it already melted. These pictures were taken on a 50 degree day-I just wanted to wear my vintage Snowland boots. Now we have cold, but it is sunny and the wind is calm, so I guess that will do.
Skirt and boots are vintage. Grey sparkly top is not.
"What do you mean, "No Owl? I'm right here, asshole." 
Someone dressed up the taxidermy at Chalco Hills NRD. 

I'm off to decorate the Christmas cake. Keep your fingers crossed I don't screw it up.






10 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

I'm dreaming of a glam Xmas!!!! & thanks to Goody I got one with all those fab metallic accents!
I was hoping to pick up some pearl sugar at Ikea in Bangkok- no luck there but I did find moose lasagna in the frozen foods!?! I did find a recipe to DIY pearl sugar though.

bahnwärterin said...

wow! the golden coat! breathtaking!!!
the tartan-shorts are gorgeous with the red coat - and i vividly remember the early 90s palazzo pants - me and my friends had to have them in 1990!
chapeau to your baking skills! i would never be able to make such neat things with little hearts......
xxxxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Gosh, you are looking gorgeous in your lovely red festive gear! The palazzo pants are amazing and I just love lace so a lace jacket is a definite winner in my books. I like the matching tartan scarf with the walking shorts and as for the 1980s evening coat it looks very futuristic!

My favourite though is the green skirt, glittery top, grey tights and fab boots. very simple but very elegant.

The buns look delicious. I'm glad I'm not at your house this Xmas; I'd gain at least half a stone eating all the delicious things you've been making!

I might just stretch to a fruit cake; I found a brilliant recipe for a very moist cake called 'Nan's Boiled Fruitcake' from the BBC Goodfood website.

Sue said...

You always amaze me with your baking and cooking!! Wishing you and the lads a peaceful, relaxing and happy festive time. Christmas is so close now!! PS: Is blondin around anymore or is he not a Winter visitor?

Beth Waltz said...

The cap is a perfect topper for the palazzo velvet pants, very Catherine Deneuve when CD was the fashionista of the week in British Vogue. However, my pick of the post is the plaid combo with the brilliant red coat. Those boots are made for shopping!

The 80s giftwrap-as-coat, 'tho? It's brilliant to behold -- but is it noisy to wear?

Goody said...

@Bibi
I look forward to you doing a tutorial on making your own pearl sugar. That could be an important skill if I ever move away from Nebraska (we have a large Swedish population here, so the sugar is easy to source).

@Beate
Thank you. I didn't have a small cutter for the hearts and had to improvise with a rosette form. It worked.

@Veronica
I've never made a boiled fruitcake, but have seen recipes. Let us know how it turns out.

@Sue
Blondin and the brood of several generations still visit us. We are still baking special biscuits for him, and after Christmas, the gingerbread house will be left outside for him. There's nothing cuter than a squirrel gnawing away at the roof of a gingerbread house.
Happy Christmas to you and your family!

@Beth
The coat makes a soft, swishing noise that is pleasant enough. The gigantic shoulders are tricky to wear in the car with a seatbelt. The hat was just a cheap thing from K Mart.

Polyester Princess said...

Those mince pies and buns look absolutely delicious! I think I need some crushed velvet palazzo pants right now, although I'll probably look horrible in them. I love matching skirts and coats, and that red coat's polka dot lining is just gorgeous! But wow, that gold coat! Never seen one before, except Barbie doll sized. I like the puffy hem! I used to wear puff skirts back then, would you believe! Thank God there are no photos ... xxx

Radostin said...

Every one of these outfits makes me smile. Your baking looks delicious and the owl is lovely. We can occasionally hear owls from our house at night, it makes me so happy every time.

Vix said...

Those palazzos need to be worn all year round, they're fantastic!! The gold coat is amazing.
Loving the sound of green tomato mincemeat - I haven't had a mince pie in years - might have to see if there's any veggie ones reduced to clear on the way to the pub on Boxing Day.

Funnily enough we were woken up by an owl this morning. What's that all about? xxx

Mim said...

Promise it wasn't you and Danny who decorated the owl? I can imagine you two having fun with that!

Stick enough booze in the mincemeat and it won't need freezing ;-)