Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Clean Out The Bins Bubble and Squeek



I need to go grocery shopping. I decided to use up my last head of cabbage tonight so I can wash the veggie bins out. This is a good use for a not-so-new head of cabbage. I feel stupid giving a recipe for this, as you can use anything you have.

You Will Need:

Cold, leftover mashed potatoes(about 6 cups)
Then, for the filling:

1 small head cabbage, finely shredded and then chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tin corn, rinsed and drained
Olive oil
Dried rosemary
Dried thyme
Salt/Pepper
1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Flour for dusting and butter/oil for frying

In a large pot, cook the vegetables and herbs in the oil until softened. The cabbage should pretty much collapse after about ten minutes. Add more oil if it starts sticking. I almost never say this with respect to vegetables-cook the stuff to death. I really mean it-cook it until it is very nearly mush. Remove from heat, cool.

Mix cooled filling with cold mashed potatoes and mix well. Form into patties and roll in AP flour. Set on a plate and chill them for at least half an hour before frying in a small amount of oil/butter. Serve well browned and hot.

No comments: