Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage Salad-Gourmet May, 1973


I'll need to consult with Mr. ETB later, to see if this salad is authentic. His mother was making something like this the evening she went into labour with Mr. ETB, but called it something like"Pepper slaw." Isn't that a wonderful story? How very Pennsylvanian.

I have no idea if this salad will induce labour, but if you're late enough, and uncomfortable enough, well farting raw cabbage in the delivery room will probably be a small price to pay. For you, anyway. Pooping in the bed as you push is quite another story...(I had a C-Section, so I missed out on all the fun of screaming at my husband and taking a crap in the delivery room. Damnit).

You Will Need:

3 cups shredded red cabbage
2/3 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup minced celery
1 green pepper, stemmed and seeded and finely minced
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all, mix well and chill.

No comments: