Thursday, May 20, 2010

Egg and Olive Loaf -Gourmet August, 1973


They called it a "Hard-Boiled Delight." Maybe, in 1973. It avoids the "egg-salad-y-ness" (marvel at my inventiveness, please) by using an entire stick of butter, in place of mayonnaise.

I really can't make anything involving hard-boiled eggs without thinking of the Kids in the Hall skit about making egg salad. I looked on YouTube-it isn't there. Sorry. Funny though, really.

So anyway, you might want to reserve this for those special occasions when a sliced terrine of hard boiled eggs, butter and olives is called for. I'm not sure when that might actually be, but you'll just know when the time is right. Hey, at least I didn't coat it in aspic.

You Will Need:

12 hard boiled eggs(and eggs were only 88 cents a dozen this week. Perfect!)
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup diced celery
1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives, diced
2 tablespoons minced onion
Salt and pepper
(I added some radishes from the garden to be extra fancy)

Peel the eggs while still warm by running under cold water. Place in a bowl with the butter and with a potato masher, mash them coarsely. Stir in the rest. Line a loaf pan with buttered wax paper and pack in the eggs. Chill several hours before serving in slices.

I just know Mr. ETB will poop his pants with joy when he sees this in the fridge!

No comments: