Sunday, May 02, 2010

Puffed Baked Potatoes-Gourmet December 1972


These were fun. A bit more work than twice baked potatoes, but really not too difficult. These were featured at the back of the magazine in the "Last Touch" section. Some of the other potato recipes sound interesting as well, though I think I'm going to pass on the chipped beef filled potatoes. I have quite a few potatoes at the moment, maybe I'll give some others a try this week.

You Will Need:

6 baked potatoes, halved and scooped out, skins reserved
1/2 cup light cream. scalded
salt/pepper/nutmeg to taste
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites (I used large)
1/3 cup chopped parsley


Pass the potatoes through a food mill to puree. Add the scalded cream, seasonings and egg yolks. Beat well. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the potato mixture. Fold in the rest carefully and spoon into the reserved shells. Arrange on a dish or baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

I'm no enemy of potatoes (damned carb Nazis!) In fact, I'd love to see a whole cookbook devoted to potatoes! Mmmmmm!! I always eat tons of taters on Thanksgiving.

Goody said...

Oh gosh. me too. A perfectly baked potato is just about the best food there is.