Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rhubarb Cordial-and Algebra


Boozebarb!

After two weeks of cut-up rhubarb stalks soaking in vodka, I removed the rhubarb and strained the liquid through a fine mesh sieve. I made a simple syrup of 1 cup water to 1 1/2 cups sugar. You can adjust this. If you really, really don't want to water down your precious hooch, remove some of it to a pan and just barely warm it with caster sugar, whisking until dissolved. This should keep the alcohol from burning off. return it to the rest.

I'm going to try and get some strawberry juice this week-with plenty of ice, this should make a delicious mixer. Lemonade would work too.

The rhubarb joins the homemade limoncello and vin orange in the fridge.

My five year old just asked if I know where his linear algebra book is. I'm listening to him talking to his papa:

"Wait, I have to figure this out...x stands for the number I don't know..."

We're still trying to figure out where he learned about free variables. Best we can figure, he really WAS reading the linear algebra book. Yikes.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

***OMG!!!!*** That glass!! My grandmother had a set of those! *tear* Those, and the NFL team round-ish glasses, were my faves!

Goody said...

Bonus trivia:

The same glasses show up in Omega Man. Actually, some of my parent's furniture show up in that movie too. I remember seeing it, and being all excited because my Mother's bar ware was in a movie.