Sunday, January 26, 2014

1970's Dress Set

Ignore for the moment that the dress is five sizes too large, and admire the great print.
(I like how I'm being photobombed by my kid).
I try to tread carefully in 70's fashion area, as I was old enough to wear these clothes the first go round. I ask myself, is it Mary Tyler Moore, or Nan? The former, we're cool, the later, away it goes. As this outfit was borderline, I put on some shoes my grandmother never would have worn.
These shoes by the way, are demonic. I'm afraid my toes will never be the same again. They were however, easy to walk in otherwise.

We skipped the "Owl thing" because the weather turned bad, and I didn't want to be far from home. Instead, we happened by a bookstore where I noticed this...
I suppose that's better than a hopeless romantic, but it does have a bit of the "love 'em and leave 'em" to it. Better a serial romantic than a serial shagger. Maybe.

Outfit Particulars:

1970's dress set by Amy Addams-Thrift World .99 cents
Green Coro Necklace-Imaginarium, Omaha
Blue Stranded beads-thrifted Goodwill
Green shoes from hell-Charlotte Russe, Thrifted Goodwill
Belt-thrifted
Crystal and pearl 50's earrings-Thrift America .99 cents
Handbag-Thrift World
Bangles-thrifted all over

I don't feel this dress is worth the work it would take to make it fit properly, so it will likely move along to someone that can wear it better. That's the great thing about vintage clothing-someone will be thrilled to have it.

Last evening we watched Harold and Maude. Danny liked it, though he was irritated with the ending, but he is only nine. Tonight we're watching, Some Like it Hot.

2 comments:

Curtise said...

Ha, I was thinking about Some Like It Hot too! But I think thrillers are more my 10 year old's thing.
I love the print on your dress, can't beat a cool 70s frock in great colours. What a shame it's too big. I agree that you can counteract any hint of Nana-ness by the styling - you go for heels, I go for chunky boots, usually. Either/both work! xxx

Goody said...

You have one of the greatest boot collections I've ever seen. I never find good looking boots second hand (or leg, foot, etc).

It will be interesting to see what films your children end up liking. I'm terrible at selecting films for Danny (as I have never been a nine year old boy-hell, I'm not convinced I was ever a nine year old)and his dad isn't much better.