Sunday, January 05, 2014

Beth Hensperger's Oven Mushroom Pancake


Yet another winning recipe from Beth Hensperger's wonderful book, The Best Quick Breads. This is simple enough to throw together on a Sunday morning when I was feeling the full effects of sub-zero weather on my arthritic bones. Everyone will think you made something, "fancy", but I won't tell if you don't.

You Will Need:

6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pound mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (I had oyster mushrooms)
2 shallots, minced (I had scallions)
\Salt/Pepper
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 cup plain flour
Chive sauce (see below)

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a heavy skillet, over high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and cook the mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms have given off their liquid (about 3 minutes). Remove from pan, and set aside. I used the same pan to cook the remaining ingredients in, but if you don't have a cast iron pan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in an ovenproof dish, and set it in the oven to melt.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until foamy. Beat in the milk and flour quickly until blended. Remove pan from oven, and spread mushrooms and onions on the bottom. Pour the batter over it, and bake 20-25 minutes or until puffed, and golden. Cut into wedges to serve.
 

 Meanwhile, make the sauce.

1/3 cup plain yoghurt (I used skyr)
1/3 cup crème fraiche
2 tablespoons minced chives (I used the green part of a scallion)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Whisk together, and chill until serving time.

No comments: