Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Best Baked Tofu You Will Ever Eat



Make a large quantity of the marinade to keep in the fridge. I made the sauce to baste a Hawaiian style roast duck for Mr. ETB's birthday, and the remainder ended up in this tofu. I'm kind of sorry I didn't make more.
 

For the marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce (I use Silver Swan brand)
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 large garlic cloves, sliced
grated fresh ginger to taste (I used about a 2 inch piece)

Place it all in a saucepan, and simmer until reduced-about 1 hour. Store extra in the fridge.
For the tofu:

Slice a block of extra firm tofu into 4 pieces. Press dry between kitchen towels, changing them a few times. This should take about 20 minutes.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tofu in a casserole dish (I use non-metallic). It will be a mess to clean, but soaking will solve most of your problems. Just be warned. Cover with marinade, and you can let it stand, turning once for 30 minutes in the fridge, or as long as overnight. Most of it ends up absorbed anyway.

Bake 30 minutes, then turn slices and bake another 30. Cool.

To serve:

slice into strips, then lightly brown in a small  bit of sesame oil in a frying pan-you don't want to deep-fry this.

I served this with brown rice, carrots, ginger, broccoli and sautéed kumquats (Slice then thin, then quickly cook them with a bit of oil, sugar, and salt). Any leftovers would make an excellent sandwich next day. I didn't have leftovers-they ate it all!

No comments: