Saturday, October 24, 2015

Emma Domb-My Day as a Piece of Wedgewood

When I purchased this Emma Domb dress for $1.69 at New Life Thrift, I was certain it was cheap 80's tat. The polyester crepe material, the silly side-fastening buttons at the neck-it all screamed, "junk." Still, enchanted by the colours and the prospect of dressing as a piece of Wedgewood, I bought it anyway. I'm pleased to report I was wrong-this dress is from the 70's, and they command rather good prices online. I wouldn't pay real money for a dress like this, but I think I got my money's worth.
The dress is quite sheer, but as luck would have it, I own a full-slip in the exact shade of blue.
"Hubba-Hubba, Ding-Ding, Mama she's got EVERYTHING! Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to stare. Can you go get me a biscuit when you're through pulling up your dress to show off your unmentionables? Thanks."

 I was asked by a woman my age if I was going to a wedding. I can kind of see this dress being appropriate wedding guest attire, but not with a mohair cardigan.
"Is she still going on about the dress?! Lady, I'm starving here." *taps on window*


 Outfit Particulars:
Emma Domb polyester crepe dress-New Life Thrift
Belt-Goodwill
Vintage Naturalizer shoes-Thrift World
Hand knit mohair(ish) cardigan-Goodwill
Earrings and bracelet set-Antique store in Wisconsin 20 years ago
Brooch-Had it since college, can't remember where I bought it
Rhinestone ring-K Mart
Lippy-Revlon Snowy Peach
Fragrance-L'Heure Bleue
Vintage French handbag-Goodwill




 Yep-the Christmas displays are already out. This was at Earl May garden centre.

This was the first day I've been out in a week since hurting my neck (which has now traveled down my arm and into my back). Thanks everyone for your well wishes when I was having a bit of a crabby pout. I'm a terrible patient when these things happen. Mr. ETB had to drive, and they both had to carry stuff for me, but I did manage to get dressed and out the door. I hate relying on other people to cart me around, but at least they took me to interesting places. Mostly. I did pop in to the supermarket to buy a few bunches of spinach and some laundry detergent. Then, they took me over to New Life Thrift where I found a few things. I really wasn't up to it, but I still found some items worth having. I also came home with a bottle of Estee Lauder Knowing for .69 cents. It was about 60% used, but that still leaves over an ounce of perfume. Not bad. 
 I adore a good beaded bag, don't you?
 I'm going to wear the hell out of these vintage Selby shoes next summer.
 High heeled sneakers? Hell yes.
I keep finding beautiful leather bags that appear to be unused. This one set me back five dollars, which is more than I typically spend on a handbag, but it was too good to pass up. 


Since I'm already dressed...anyone want to go crash a wedding? 



I'd take Blondin, but he'd go straight for the cake. 
I hope you're having a lovely weekend.

8 comments:

Connie said...

Oh I do like a beaded bag as a matter of fact. And you certainly do look like the lady on Wedgewood. So pretty. and with your wonky neck and all. Healing vibes Sweetie.

Bibi Maizoon said...

Fee fee fi fi fo fo fum!
Lookin' mighty nice, here she comes,
Wearin' a wig, hat and shades to match;
Got high heel sneakers and an alligator hat.
Wearin' her pearls and a diamond ring,
She got bracelets on her fingers and a everything.
Wearin' her perfume, Chanel Number Five,
Got to be the finest woman alive.
Walks so smooth, catches everybody's eye,
Got to be lovely, you can't say goodbye.
She's not too skinny and not too fat,
She's a real humdinger and I like it like that.
Devil with a blue dress, blue dress, blue dress,
Devil with a blue dress on.
Devil with a blue dress, blue dress, blue dress,
Devil with a blue dress on.
O Lawd have MERCY!
Sorry, it was the high heel sneakers that just sent me over the edge.
You know I suffered neck pain that was initially diagnosed as muscle spasms that 'travelled' down my arms & back that FINALLY led to the correct diagnosis (after MRI & Xray) that the discs between vertebrae C6,7, & 8 were completely collapsed. My neck muscles were compensating for the collapsed discs. The vertebrae involved were pressing directly on nerves traveling down my arms & certain areas of my back. Seems to be a common area of 'wear & tear' when you get to a certain age. Someday I'll probably have to get my neck surgically fused. I've been having the muscles in my neck, face & scalp paralyzed with Botox for my "TMJ from Hell" for years along with my daily dose of NSAIDS & amitryptyline for the nerve pain involved - so I don't suffer much pain from either affliction. I doubt any health insurance plan would cover Botox for anything but torticollis.

Goody said...

@Connie
Thank you.
I have no idea when I will use all these fancy bags, but at worst they make good storage for sewing notions.

@Bibi
Yeah, I doubt that would be covered on our plan. I'm sure they would cover a useless "pain clinic" where they toss anti-depressants at you and encourage deep breathing though.

Beth Waltz said...

An Aigner bag for only $5? Well scored, Goody. And that wedding-guest dress is worth every centavo of the $1.69 you paid for it, but you've said it yourself: where else could one wear something so June Cleaverish respectable?

Pain is such a damned nuisance when one has places to go and tasks to accomplish! I'm really very cross with my joints on cold winter mornings when I'm in a hurry to clean the cats' commodes. Sometimes I'm forced to make time for a hot shower when I'd rather be drinking a second cup of caffeine. Can't hurt, sometimes helps.

(My greetings to Blondin. Looking good for a rodent!)

Sue said...

I so love Blondin, and totally loved the video he starred in. He is a boy isn't he? Why do people assume if you aren't dressed "normal" what ever the hell that is, that you must be going somewhere?! Wankers! Love Love Love your sparkly ring, and the sneaky peak at your colourful under garments! Tell me you are going to see someone about your neck problems that are traveling down your body. Get well soon please, or get your hubby to at least massage you, without any extras!

Goody said...

@Beth
I know-isn't it insane what they sell for next to nothing, and then mark-up all the hideous garbage from H&M? I do not get it, at all.

Think like a guy-drink the coffee *in* the shower! Really, I've witnessed my husband doing that to save time.

@Sue
Blondin is a boy, which we were able to discern when he flashed me whilst hanging on my door screen! hrumph, men.

People dress rather casual around here. Lots and lots of fleece.

Mim said...

Pervy old Blondin...

That bracelet and earring set are really nice. As I scrolled down your detail list I was wondering what perfume you were wearing and then... Of course!

I hope your doc is able to sort the neck problem out properly for you. It must be so worrying having the medical bills on top of the pain - I really don't know how people in the US manage.

Goody said...

I *had* to wear it. No other perfume could stand up to all that femininity.

I'm hoping time will take care of it as I'm loathe to keep handing over money for treatment that is little better than a placebo.

I don't think we manage very well. Most people just hope they don't get sick because no matter how good your insurance is, it still means bankruptcy for many people.