Friday, October 11, 2013

Petticoat Tails-Gourmet Magazine August 1972


 


 



My precious Gourmet Magazines from the 70's are now unpacked from the move, and these caught my eye as they are so simple. They were printed above a recipe for an Atholl Brose, which always sounds like, "Asshole Bruce" to me. Personally, I prefer to eat my porridge oats, not drink them, but some people like that asshole Bruce.

Petticoat tails? Is that where I was?

You Will Need:

2 3/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon caraway seed
1/4 teaspoon salt (this is my addition, but I think it needs it)
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
5 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or a piece of buttered foil. They call for wax paper in the recipe, but wax paper has changed a bit over the years and isn't the sturdy stuff it used to be (at least not what I can get here). Combine the flour, caraway and salt in a bowl. Melt the milk and butter and let cool slightly. Make a well in the flour and add the butter/milk to the centre. Sprinkle the 5 tablespoons of sugar over and slowly work the dough into the centre until all is combined. Gather dough together, roll out to a ten inch round. Cut a 2 inch circle in the centre (I used a biscuit cutter) and cut into 12 wedges (I did mine smaller). Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake 20 mijnutes or until they are golden. Cool on a rack.


I love the old 70's food styling. That frozen orange mousse looks delicious. Unfortunately, I'm the only one here that likes orange*. Anyone want to come over and tackle a frozen orange mousse with me?

*I know. Weirdos.

2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Food styling from the 70s is fabulous, I completely agree. It seemed to straddle the worlds between being earthy and free spirited, and posh to the point of absurdity so terrifically well. Yes, pretty please, I'll happily come dig into an orange mousse with you anytime! I'd imagine it tastes rather like an orange Creamsicle - one of the best frozen dessert flavour ever, IMO.

♥ Jessica

Goody said...

*nods head whilst drooling zombie like*

"creamsicle...creamsicle..."