Friday, July 23, 2010

Griddle Corn Bread


The other day, I made a large batch of the green beans, and tonight we ate the leftovers cold with these corn pancakes. I wanted something very thin and crepe-like to soak up the salad, but you could make a thicker batter using 1 egg, or even replacing the buttermilk with sour cream. The boys devoured them, and wanted to know if they are difficult to make (they are not). That's usually a good sign they'll be requesting a dish again soon.

The heat is expected to break for a bit over the weekend, but I still don't feel inspired to light the oven any time soon. I don't really feel inspired to eat anything any time soon, though I did recently re-discover how much I like puffed wheat cereal. That's a nice, non-challenging dinner for me. I've also re-discovered how much I like Richardson's Pillow Mints (no, they aren't paying me to say so). They're still made with sugar, not corn syrup, and they aren't painful to eat like an Altoid. I just looked at what I typed-puffed wheat and pillow mints. Geez, I really am turning into my grandmother.

You Will Need:

1-2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup corn meal (not the coarse stuff used for polenta, just the plain stuff)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat together the eggs, milk and bicarb. Sift together dry ingredients and beat-in. Beat the butter in.

Grease a griddle, and heat it well (I used my cast iron pan). Fry as you would pancakes, turning to brown on both sides. I served these with strong flavoured molasses at the table.

No comments: