Sunday, July 11, 2010

That's Mrs. Eat The Blog To You

I've only noticed this happening at one Hy-Vee location (Peony Park), but I now get thanked by name when handed my receipt. I mean, I get thanked by a teenager calling me by the diminutive of my name. My husband isn't permitted to call me that. I really find this first-name basis thing with someone I don't know, terribly offensive. I understand that the management/consultant types have been labouring under the delusion for years that this faux personalisation is going to create shopper loyalty-but it truly is a delusion. I don't blame the poor clerk forced to proceed with this nonsense, and I understand that I'm complaining about something newly occurring in Omaha that has probably been going on for years in more populated locales.

Now Get Off Of My Lawn!

3 comments:

Raymond said...

You're so behind the times! That trend has been and already went out here. (Well, maybe it's gone from here: I stopped shopping at high-priced stores (AKA white people stores) where they do that because I'm underemployed and now I shop at the no-frills markets.)

But yeah, I *HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE* when they hand me my receipt and tell me "Thank you, Mr ______." When I saw that coming, I'd snatch the receipt and cut them off: "Ok sure. You don't need to tell everyone in line my name." OH@!!! SO IRRITATING!! But not just because it tells potential identity thieves my name, but because whenever I hear it, I hear some corporate executive in a meeting thinking up more bullsh*t "friendliness" that will make the big corporation appear personal. Pff!

BTW, I remember when I was a kid clerks would just KNOW my parents without having to look at a receipt for their name.

Goody said...

I should say that I don't mind when someone in our small town calls me by my first name (because they know it), say at the bank or something-but the Hy-Vee was really strange.

Speaking of stupid things people are forced to say at work...

There's a local oddity of waiters stopping by your table to ask (and this is a direct quote, and they all phrase it the same way, more or less):
"How's everything tasting for you?"

I nearly shat myself the first time I heard it-then heard it again, and again. I've never been able to come up with a good response to it either, I mean, how does one respond to that sort of a query?

Raymond said...

"Hold on, I haven't tasted everything." Then lick the table?