Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tomatoes

Most of the Crimean black tomatoes have been eaten as sandwiches, as they should be. They were really delicious, juicy, with wonderful texture. The Brandywines are starting to ripen now, and they too are to my mind best used ripe and fresh-but I also planted an ungodly number of Roma tomatoes. Very productive plants, they are. The obvious thing is sauce, or ketchup which I may do, but I'm intrigued by the idea of spiced tomato butter.

I see you crinkling your collective noses and that's O.K. Mr. Eat The Blog had a similar reaction. I have an old recipe from the 50's that I can adapt for modern canning standards. It sounds rather sweet and is spiced with cinnamon, cloves and allspice-along with vinegar. I know, I know, it does sound weird-isn't that reason enough to make a batch? I have a soft spot for the weird-I married Mr. Eat The Blog, didn't I?

O.K. Collective silence.

We don't use enough salsa to make it worth the bother, and even if I can whole tomatoes, I will still have more than a few to deal with. I have a recipe for tomato jelly as well, but it is the butter that really has me intrigued.

Anyone ever make it, or have interesting ideas what to do with a glut of Roma tomatoes? Anyone want to come over and help me can them? Fine. Anyone want to teach me how to punctuate? Seriously, look at this post-gee whiz. Someone needs to spend time with Strunk and White.

No comments: