Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Six Year Old, Channeling Virgil Thomson

In the car, I have the radio tuned to a classic rock station.

Danny: Is there a point to this song?
Mama : Uh..Don't Fear The Reaper?
Danny : This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Ever.

About five minutes later:

Danny: And what is this song about?
Mama : Radar Love?
Danny : It doesn't even mean anything, and it isn't music, this is noise. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, they aren't even trying to play music.
Mama : I thought Don't Fear The Reaper was?
Danny : I changed my mind.

About ten minutes later, nearing home:

Danny: Mama? Mama? What is this...
Mama : (annoyed) Stairway to Heaven. You're listening to Stairway to Heaven...and don't tell me how stupid it is because you've already experienced the two stupidest songs of your six years of life already today.
Danny: (softly, under his breath, but still audible) Well I guess I've lived a lot in the last twenty minutes.

No comments: