Friday, May 20, 2011

Caramel Pear Pie

Updated:

The boys both loved the pie. I thought it was far too sweet, bordering on headache inducing. The texture was nice, though I thought the crust was somewhat heavy. I'd use a different crust recipe were I to make this again. I still don't think it was worth the cost of all that Golden Syrup which could be put to better use atop a bowl of porridge or as cinder toffee.



I haven't served mine yet, so I'll post reactions later. The recipe may be found HERE. I did mine with 1/2 cup of Golden Syrup, which at close to $7.00 a jar (I know, I know-for a by-product of sugar refining!) makes this kind of a pricey dessert.

The more I thought about the ingredients it seemed like a sugar pie with pears, or maybe a custard pie that grew up to be a sugar pie...with pears. I don't know. The crust was certainly different from anything I've ever made and I was sure it would shrink, but was pleased to find it did not. I did take the extra precaution of setting the crust, plate and all in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to baking.

No comments: