Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Barkeep

I cannot stand the term, "Mixologist." Look, there's no shame in being a bartender. The shame comes from employing the use of a term like mixologist. Calling yourself a mixologist is like calling yourself a pretentious asshole, albeit one than can make a decent gin and tonic. I get that there's an art to it-I'm not disputing the skill aspect of the job. If you're particularly good at it you become, "a good bartender."  Excellent, even. You can't be a mixologist. You can be a douchebag though, and that doesn't require much more effort than referring to yourself as a mixologist.

Admit it, you've missed these posts, haven't you?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

My little brother is a Sommelier - now that's a title with the potential for ALL SORTS of pretentious Douchebaggery, isn't it?

Goody said...

Not unless he's mixing wines with grenadine syrup, pickled juniper berries harvested from evergreens in his backyard, and calling himself a sommelierologist. That, would be pretentious. A sommelier is an accepted title, reflecting accepted skills-not something a hipster (or, "consultant") came up with (at least not in the past couple centuries)to impress the yokels from the burbs.

I get irritated with "domestic engineer" (homemaker) "professional educator" (teacher), "wealth manager" (accountant), and far too many others to start listing.

Nice to hear from you though! Hope you're all doing well.

Janice said...

"Yep, I have missed these posts" so says the Queen aka Wife and Mother. I knock the domestic engineer term up the status ladder quite a bit and just perfer people to call me Her Royal Highness.

Goody said...

I just got the funniest mental image of you pushing the hoover wearing a tiara.

Raymond said...

Let's not forget Barista, an invention of Starbucks. On the other hand, I've always liked "concierge," especially when someone - like my declasse ex-junkie sister - had occasion to attend a swank party at a fancy hotel and, wondering which ballroom to find said soiree, said, "Let's ask the Connoisseur."