Saturday, November 21, 2015

You Call That a Snowstorm?!

 Do you see any snow? Neither do I. Oh well, maybe the next one will give us something to play in.
 It IS cold out though, so you're probably going to want some soup. Look-a Wall of Soup.


The fibre arts show was great, and I came home with a hand woven scarf and another pair of alpaca socks (The pair I bought last year were ace, so I was happy to get more). Danny met up with his elderly friend and put a smile on his face when he asked if he'd play some harmonica.
The blue and orange are much brighter than the photo shows, and they will be a perfect accessory for my blue coat. I'm almost excited about winter...if we ever get it.

We swung by Hand-Me-Ups to donate two winter coats Danny outgrew, and I scored a vintage wool coat for $4.00. I thought that was a good deal until I stopped at Fairytale Costumes and found another for $3.00. It was a great day for coats! In the past few weeks I've acquired several vintage coats. I've had good luck washing them on the gentle cycle in the machine, and then drip drying. These will need a pressing, and a few hems need tacking up, but thus far I'm pleased with how they've come clean.
 The coat is a bright magenta. I drip-dry my coats from a hook over the drain in my basement floor.
The green coat, and rayon dress looked terrible when I bought them, but a good wash and a bit of mending transformed them into something wearable. 



Outfit Particulars:

Cashmere polo neck-Marshall Field's Country Shop, 80's
Vintage Pendleton skirt-Goodwill
Vintage Mexican cape-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage porcelain screw-back earrings-Thrift World
Clarks shoes-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage Sydney California handbag-New Life Thrift
Fragrance-Guerlain Guet Apens
Vintage brooch-can't remember, I've had it about 30 years
Lippy-Revlon Jungle Peach (a 60's re-issue)




Today is 11/21 which if you're an X Files fan you know is a time that shows up on clocks regularly. That was enough of a reason to throw an X-Files party tonight. I made the mistake of asking my son to make some decorations...


You know, I hate that. You're on an an alien craft waiting to get probed, and then they tell you the wait is going to be over an hour. You know their magazines in the waiting room all suck too. 



Hmm, that seems overpriced for a tin of soup...I'm going to see the dragons instead. 

Hope your weekend is treating you well, even if it refuses to snow. 


7 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

Soup Dragons...Running Wild!
Probe customers?
You mean you have to pay to be probed nowadays?
Harumph! I'll just be taking my probing business to some other galaxy then.
I wash all our woolies (cashmere, merino, pashmina) on delicate in our Samsung 'wobbler' washer. The eiderdown duvets I bought some 30+ years ago in Berlin go through the wobbler once yearly also. Then everything gets drip dried on the roof by the cold, arid winds blowing from the Himalayas. Everything comes out beautifully.
That woven scarf is gorgeous!

Beth Waltz said...

The peachy lip color is exactly right for the grays and pinks, Goody! The grays make the pink more of a natural cloud color than that cotton-candy neon shade no one can wear successfully but a Dio-de-los-Muertos Skull Girl.

Your magenta coat would be a good score in my book had you paid $10 more! Alas, one doubts my aged washer could manage the wet weight and I'm alarmed by the ingredients listed on the DIY dry-clean packets. We've one "green" dry cleaners locally, but they are pricey!

So very glad Danny's elderly friend was there to greet him and play his requests! An old fellow used to sell burnt-match crafts at a church basement Christmas sale, and one year I asked him to sign and date a large collector's item. Wish I'd had our photo taken, too.

Sue said...

Didn't you do well with the coats, now I cannot wait to see you wearing them. I bought a soup maker, well it's like a kettle/blender all in one type thing. But you basically chuck in some vege, water and stock, turn it on, it cooks and blends in 20 minutes. Perfect time to whip up some scones to go with it. By the way, the snow in your first photo is amazing, must be ghost snow!!

Goody said...

@Bibi

What the heck is a "wobbler?"

@Beth
I'm not familiar with Burnt Match crafts (off to consult Google) it sounds fascinating.

@Sue
A soup maker sounds like a wonderful invention (I hate pureeing soup in a food mill...HATE it).

Goody said...

@Sue

I should add that before I knew you, I never would have considered a magenta coat-you've been a great influence on my style with your love of colour. Thank you!

Mim said...

Oooh, good finds.

I *love* the X-Files. I even liked Reyes and Doggett. Are you and Danny excited about the new series yet? I keep waiting for the old ones to get repeated on British telly.

ThriftyParka said...

OMG your comment about the Xfiles and probing made me laugh out loud at my kid's tae-kwon-do class. Now all the other moms are looking at me.. oh well.

....probing, hee, hee, hee.

Thank you for your tips re: washing coats. I like the idea of hanging to dry over a drain. That's clever!

"Trust no one".