Saturday, February 17, 2018

I'm a Baked Potato

Yes, I know that was all kinds of wrong, but I couldn't resist. The photo is over 10 years old as Danny has long since moved on from playing with Mr. Potato Head. He loved those Potato Heads. We'd sit on the floor of his bedroom giving them silly faces and sinister voices. "Hey kid, tell yer ma she's really hot." He'd fall apart laughing every time. I hadn't thought about them in ages until we made a quick run to the supermarket and saw this...
It brought all sorts of questions to mind (some on the disturbing side). Why is the potato in bed? Does he have the flu? Should he be concerned by all the tins of chili surrounding his bed? Why is he reading a cooking magazine? So many unanswerable questions.
"Pssst, hey kid...yer ma is really hot."

Anyway, I'm still a bit sick so maybe I'm missing something?

In good weather, we have a favourite evening walk that runs about a mile and a half. Past the college, beyond the hotel, and through the parking lot of the bank with the reflective glass walls. I like this route because there's a very tall set of stairs between the bank's parking lot back up to the college. Danny gets irritated when I start humming the theme from Rocky, but if you're going to run up stairs like that, isn't it only right to have a soundtrack? Anyway, a couple of years ago when I started running seriously, I would run up the other way and meet up with Danny by the bank. Catching a look at myself in a puffy reflective jacket and leggings I joked that I "Look like a baked potato." From then on, when we chose a route for a walk he asks if we are doing "The park, or the potato walk." You could look like worse things than a baked potato.

Once, years ago I asked someone a question, (I've long forgotten what it was) and they misunderstood me (thanks, Chicago accent) and began laughing. It turned out they thought I said, "I'm a baked potato." Perhaps I'll come back in another life as a potato...and then some kid can jab plastic pieces into me and snarl, "Hey kid, yer ma is really hot." 

Truth be told, I prefer mash, but don't say that around the sleepy spud at the grocery store-don't want to traumatise him.
Sweet dreams, Spuddy Buddy.

12 comments:

Vix said...

A baked potato in bed? that's so surreal. I'd love to know what the viz merchandiser had been smoking before his/her shift. xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Mr. Potato Head always makes me crack up as it reminds me of an ex-colleague. Another colleague once pointed out that particular ex-colleague looked like Mr. Potato Head and, I'm not joking, he really did. As for the potato in bed, that's really got me stumped. He might just be chilli(ng) out! xxx

Radostin said...

This really made me laugh!

ThriftyParka said...

Hee! Baked potato in a bed. That is definitely a head scratcher. And good for you for walking a mile and a half! These days I'm lucky if I can pry my dusty butt off the couch after I collapse at home.

Goody, if you come back as a Potato Head, I can guarantee you'd have at least a hundred Potato Head purses and shoes :)

Happy thrifting ;)

Sue said...

A spud in bed!! I am thinking what Vix is thinking!!! Glad you are on the mend.

Bibi Maizoon said...

I was rather puzzled as to whether that Idaho enscribed thing was a headboard or a tombstone? Especially when the magazine is showing baked potatoes stuffed with chili!
Anyway, like the ad went, "Mr Potatohead I love you!"

Mim said...

Maybe Mr Potato is in bed to keep him warm - ready for when he's split in half and filled with chili!

bahnwärterin said...

:-DDDD
fun read! thank you goody! never thought so much about potatoes. but i love to eat them - anyway how......
xxxx

Propagatrix said...

I keep trying to figure out what the phrase was that got mistaken for “I’m a baked potato.”

“I’m a gray tornado?” “I made eight tomatoes?”

My tiny mind is fried.

Beth Waltz said...

This post has me puzzling about what a potato is doing in bed (reading) and what you said (in Chicagoese) that sounded like "I'm a baked potato". And is topping a baked spud with chili from a can a traditional "easy meal" in Omaha?

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

You are most definitely a hot potato, Goody!

Goody said...

@Vix
Sometimes I wonder. The real stoners work at the bakery. I watched some poor kid try putting my bread into a sack today...and she kept missing. And laughing. I offered to help but she insisted she had it. After a few tries, she finally got it but...

@Ann
Oh boy, of all the things to look like! Poor man.

@Radostin
There's just something funny about Mr. Potato head!

@Thrifty Parka
Hmmm I hadn't considered the accessory choices for Mrs. Potato head...that might be a good reincarnation gig!

@Sue
Thank you. I am doing much, much better. I still feel like I had a terrible butt-kicking, but at least I managed to stay out of the hospital and I treated it with over-the-counter medication. Mr. ETB definitely had it worse-he's still coughing 3 weeks later.

@Bibi
Around here they eat chili with cinnamon buns. Don't ask.

@Mim
I've heard of jacket potatoes but never blanket ;)

@Beate
I could happily live on potatoes...and I look like it ;)

@Propagatrix
I wish I could remember.

@Beth
I use chili on cornbread, but a potato sounds reasonable. I shouldn't knock it until I try it. I don't think I've ever bought chili in a tin-wonder if they have a meatless one?

@Veronica
A hot flash potato ;)