Friday, September 14, 2018

I Said I Wasn't Shopping



The more I insist I don't need anything, the more determined the thrifting gods are to toss me great finds. When we made the trip to Grand Island to drop off Danny's fair entries, we called in at some of the shops along the way. In Grand Island, there are two Goodwills. One was a bust, but the other had fantastic baubles. I left thinking it was a very good day-little did I know what the universe had in mind.
On the way home, we stopped by the Mennonite thrift store in Seward. I filled another bag with baubles, shoes, and vintage clothing. Surely, it couldn't get better, could it?
Yep, it got better. The Salvation Army store in Lincoln was a treasure mine of vintage clothing, some of which I'll show later in the post. It was only 125 miles from home, but it might as well have been another country for all the great discoveries. If the jewellery and clothes in Omaha can seem picked over and slightly over-priced, it only takes a trip a couple hours west to remind me what a great place we live in for second-hand shopping.

This is one of the dresses I picked up at the Lincoln Salvation Army store. 1950's square dancing frock? Don't mind if I do! Or do si do.
  It can be worn off the shoulder as well. It was under five dollars, so absolutely money well spent.
Get yer tits out.



Outfit Particulars:
Vintage square dancing dress-Salvation Army, Lincoln
Shoes-Goodwill
Handbag-Goodwill
Rings, bakelite bangles, earrings, brooch-all thrifted various places


 This dress is a rare, purchased-new item from the sales at Lindy Bop. I'd been watching it and hoping it would go on sale. It is too large in the bodice but I love it so much I might spend the money on alterations.

 Fine, I'm afraid of birds, including waterfowl, but the print was still impossible to resist.
I would have no difficulty resisting this duck. *Shudder*

Outfit Particulars:
Dress-Lindy Bop
Vintage Naturalizer shoes-Thrift World
Nantucket Basket handbag-Antique mall
Rings-all over
Victorian bracelets-both thrifted
Belt-Goodwill
Necklace-Goodwill

 Our weather has been strange-autumn back to summer in the span of a few days, but I've slowly been bringing out the lighter weight clothing in autumn hues. This 60's maxi probably started life as a robe, but I won't tell anyone if you don't *wink*.
 I do love a good sleeve and this certainly satisfies that desire. I wouldn't want to wear this if I were a smoker. I don't know how we all survived the 70s without accidentally setting ourselves alight.
That massive bakelite stretch bracelet was something like $1.99 at goodwill. Looking at it in the case I was sure it was modern, but as soon as I picked it up, felt the weight of the thing and noticed the aging string, I knew I had Bakelite. I can't wear it long as it is seriously heavy. The wood and plastic medallion was something I picked up at a yard sale and then forgot about. I find long necklaces hard to wear but with just the right maxi dress they can work. I do like a long bit of wood. Ahem. 

Outfit Particulars:
1970s maxi dress-Antique mall
Vintage bucket bag-Hand Me Ups
Vintage white shopper tote-Goodwill
Vintage bakelite bracelet-Goodwill
Vintage necklace-Yard Sale
Shell earrings-World Market about 10 years ago

 This dress is 90's does 50's and I just adore it. There's a bit of tulle sewn into the bottom of the lining acting as a mock crinoline which gives it just enough shape to look retro and still be easily wearable (I drive a very small car that isn't a good match with puffy petticoats etc.).
 Finding turquoise jewellery that isn't set in silver with a Southwestern theme can be tricky in my part of the world, so I always grab bangles when available. The blue ones aren't bakelite but the look right at home with the others that are.
Outfit Particulars:
Dress-I can't remember! I bought it new.
Bolero-Goodwill
Earrings and necklace-both Thrift World
Brooch-recent trip to Grand Island Goodwill
Talbot's belt-Thrift World (that is one seriously well made leather belt!)
Vintage handbag-Goodwill (I think)
Shoes-Goodwill
Large brown bangle-Hand-Me-Ups
Blue bangles-Hand-Me-Ups

There's me, getting my leg out on the side of a highway. As you do.

 I have no idea if this piece is vintage or not as the label was missing. It feels a little too well made to be new, but I could be wrong. It only has a few buttons at the top and I assume is meant to be worn over a skirt or trousers. I stuck a tunic beneath it as well for the sake of modesty (it is very revealing) which also makes me think it is vintage. That much skin wouldn't have been shocking in the 70s (well, maybe on someone my age it would have been). No matter, I love it and plan to get plenty of wear from it.

Outfit Particulars:
Tunic and leggings-both Dots about 17 years ago! Not bad for fast fashion.
Shoes-Goodwill
Top/dress-ish thing-Goodwill
Necklace and matching earrings (bought on 2 different trips)-Goodwill
Brass evening bag-New Life Thrift
Fragrance-Probably 24 Faubourg which I have been wearing constantly day and night since finding a full bottle for $4.99 at Goodwill. This stuff is addictive. How I ignored it so long is beyond me, but it is definitely my fragrance of summer/autumn 2018. I wonder if I will like it as well in winter? Hard to believe the same nose was responsible for that reeking Celine Dion nightmare, but I guess everyone's entitled to one really big mistake in their life. Anyway, yeah-24 Faubourg is magical. 

This silk dress was another purchase from the Salvation Army store in Lincoln. I would guess it is late 90's/early 00's. The beaded 80's jacket was probably overkill for daytime wear but...well, you know me. 

I was a little worried I might catch the attention of the bees happily collecting pollen on the flowering melon vine but they left me alone. There's a risk in wearing yellow this time of year when there's less food around for the bees.

Outfit Particulars:
Dress-Salvation Army
Jacket-Goodwill
Vintage straw bag-Hand-Me-Ups
Bangles and rings-all over
Shoes-Goodwill
Necklace-K Mart
Earrings-yard sale

 After returning home, the Omaha thrift stores must have heard about my success in Lincoln, Seward, and Grand Island. Not wishing to be outdone, the local shops promptly presented me with a nice selection of inexpensive baubles.
This Victorian holloware brooch is missing a few leaves, but given the age and the practically free price, I couldn't resist buying it. I don't mind less than perfect pieces.

I will leave you with one more outfit from the trip to Lincoln.

That's some heavy, vintage polyester action!

Somewhere between Minne Mouse and a stewardess uniform.


Outfit Particulars:
1970's polyester dress-Salvation Army store, Lincoln
Vintage handbag-Goodwill
Vintage brooch-Etsy
Vintage shoes-yard sale
Rings, bangles, earrings-all thrifted various places

Today and tomorrow the annual Sarpy County Museum yard sale is going on to raise funds for the museum. I have a serious upper respiratory infection at the moment and will have to miss it this year (unless I make a miraculous recovery overnight which I'm not expecting). I'm bummed about it, but looking at this post I clearly don't need anything! I certainly don't ever need to purchase another piece of jewellery as long as I live. I'd also planned a trip to the orchard this weekend for apple picking but that's going to have to be delayed as well. I'm pretty stoic when it comes to cold, flu, etc. but this is really kicking my behind. Danny has a milder version of it (thank god) and so far (fingers crossed) Mr. ETB has escaped it.

I hope autumn/spring (depending where you are) is treating you well. Spare a thought for the people in the path of the hurricane if you can-it sounds horrible.





15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy purchases!
I hope you and Danny will feel better soon. At least you have those treasures to look at and cheer you! JanF

Bibi Maizoon said...

Wow! What an amazing haul! Hope to see all of your glamourous baubles on display in holiday posts this year. LOVE that brass clutch! The red, white & blue polyester outfit is early 70's to the max. Get well soon.

Alli Duncan said...

What wonderful finds, Goody! I found a vintage maxi dress, clip-on on earrings two brooches and a necklace at my closest op shop last Wednesday and I had thought I had done well - that's nothing in comparison to you! Sorry to hear you and Danney are sick - I hope you both recover very soon.

bahnwärterin said...

the x-mas tree is already pale with envy!
you found some gorgeous bling. and those dresses are very chic - each for its own. and always the perfect matching handbag - swoon!
get well soon! xxxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Goody, what fabulous finds! I don't know where to start. Well, first my favourite is the maxi dress with the sleeves; simply gorgeous. I loved the yellow silk dress with the wonderful yellow accessories, the fab tunic over leggings, the brass handbag, the amazing bakelite bangles - all of it was wonderful. Fab bags to match as well. And you look stunning with your hair up - it suits you so well.

Hope you recover from your URTI soon and feel better. We are having similar summer to autumn and back again weather.

Polyester Princess said...

Wow, what an amazing haul! I'd be happy to find just a fraction, but alas our charity shops have lately been rubbish when it comes to vintage, especially compared with yours. Love all the jewellery! Among all the bling, my eye was immediately drawn to the light blue plastic on ;-) Love the square dancing frock and the Lindy Bop one with the ducks (I think Jos needs a shirt with that print!), but the 60s maxi and the red, white and blue vintage polyester one are my favourites! xxx

ThriftyParka said...

Yowsa! You look amazing in each of those dresses! The thrift gods smiled on you indeed!! Now where on earth are you going to store your new finds, hmm?

Hee! “I like a bit of wood”.

Happy thrifting ;)

Goody said...

@Jan
I started organising my accessories last weekend and I am now convinced I never need to purchase anything ever ;)
This cold is really hanging in-makes me worry what our flu season will be like this year.

@Bibi
I was wondering what I should do as my Advent countdown this year. I've done plaid, brooches...maybe hats or handbags this year? Or velvet? Rings? Glad to have you back and blogging.

@Alli
That IS well done!
I think Nebraska is one of those places where the 70s still lives on in some sort of alternate universe. Church on Sunday morning the only occassion to wear good clothes, so they last a very, very long time.

@Beate
Sometimes I feel like a walking Christmas tree-maybe I should wear some tinsel garland ;)
We are slowly getting better but it was a rough few days.

@Veronica
Thank you. I am doing my part to stop the spread of this by staying home. After 5 days I'm going a bit stir crazy, but better than inflicting it on anyone else. I was thinking oif you today as I found my crochet hooks and wondered if I ought to follow your lead and make a blanket. I've admired yours, and I have so much unused yarn.

@Ann
The plastic brooch was my favourite also. I couldn't believe it was in such good condition given how old it is. I don't know why Lindy Bop doesn't expand to menswear-their prints would be quite popular on shirts.

@Thrifty Parka
I have a standing jewellery chest that belonged to my mum but I prefer to use several smaller boxes. I sort my earrings in small boxes by type and clip similar ones on the edge to be found in a hurry. Saves time getting dressed.

Mim said...

I hope your infection is gone now. I was admiring your jewellery haul on IG; the vintage gods sure do love you. It's a reward for your devotion! Love the way you've picked out the turquoise in the 90s does 50s dress, it looks os ace.

Beth Waltz said...

Baubles, Bakelite, a belt from Talbot, and a silk dress! Plus other wonders! Gads, woman, do you realize how difficult it is to feel pity for your sinuses? We will, y'know, but it won't be easy. :)

Vix said...

Hope you and Danny boy are feeling loads better, everyone seems to be being struck down by the same thing over here, I'm trying to avoid human contact...I don't want it!
Such an amazing haul. My favourite thing is the bastard massive sleeved maxi that might be a dressing gown - it looks wonderful on you. xxx

Sue said...

I hear you sister, everytime I plan not to spend things turn up that I cannot resist!! You certainly had plenty of temptations put in your path, so glad you decided to swoop them all up. The dress with ducks is OMG Gorgeous!!! Hope by now you are well on the road to recovery. Autumn and Spring are the BEST seasons.

Miss Magpie said...

Good lord what a haul!! and you have a yellow bag, I'm still hunting for one *sigh*

I do hope you are a million times better by now. xx

Goody said...

@Mim
Thank you. I promptly came down with round two of whatever this is, but I'm a tough old broad, so I'll be ok.

@Beth
Ha!
It was a lucky trip, that's for sure.

@Vix
Seriously-stay away from people, you don't want this.

@Sue
Lindybop ships worldwide and have a wide range of sizes if you really want that dress, it might still be on the website. It was on sale when I bought mine.

@Miss Magpie
Why is yellow so hard to find? This is my only one and would really love something in leather.

Radostin said...

Your accessories collection gives me so much joy! I love the black and white and yellow outfit very much, and the leg-out -on-the-highway 👌🏽