Sunday, May 01, 2022

Spring Sprung

Things are finally starting to bloom in Omaha, but it is much later than usual. It has been a difficult spring so far-drought, wildfires, dangerously high winds, excessive heat followed by snow flurries, etc. You name it, we've probably had it, save for measurable rain. We really need rain. But for now, I'll enjoy the flowering trees for as long as they last. I'm amazed anything can survive the wind we've been getting. I haven't been up the park yet this year (you can't drive in, and I don't feel like an uphill walk) but I wonder if the magnolia is blooming. I imagine the apple and apricot trees have started. They're predicting about an inch of rain Friday, but it comes with dangerous storms. We'll see what ends up happening. The last few have missed us. UPDATE: we got rain, and not too much else in the severe category. 

It wouldn't be spring without asparagus and strawberries though both are scarce, and expensive this year. 
I pickled a few in balsamic vinegar to add to salads, I like pickled fruit, and usually do cherries and blueberries later in the season. 
Stewing hens were once a common and inexpensive item, but I almost never see them in the grocery. Occasionally the butcher will have them, but always frozen. I don't know if it is the messed-up supply chain or what have you, but for a couple of days right after Easter, the grocer had stewing hens. These are old hens that can no longer lay eggs. You can't roast them as the meat will be tough, but a few hours in a pot at a slow simmer will produce a lovely, soft, moist bird and delicious broth with it. My mother called stewing hens, "Soup Chicken" and she wasn't wrong. It was always a treat when she'd make one instead of broiling cut-up fryers. They're more work, which might have something to do with how they've fallen out of popularity. 

This bird weighed in at a mind boggling 8 pounds! It did provide a week's worth of meals, and I didn't hear anyone complaining about leftovers. 

This is a pumpkin kibbeh baked as a tart with a red onion and spinach filling. The boys loved it, and it wasn't terribly difficult to do. The recipe is HERE
Also made a salad of yellowfin tuna, chickpeas, capers, spinach, celery and herbs. 
Cut-up herb omelet with fresh basil. It fell apart when I tipped it onto the plate. Oh well. 

It was time to feed the sourdough starters (I've been neglecting them in the back of the fridge) so I made a rye bread and added some oats and oat flour. I used agave syrup for sweetness and while it isn't low carb, it has a lower glycemic index than your typical rye bread (they tend to be mostly white and full of molasses). It came up nice and light with a beautiful crumb. The diabetic enjoyed it with some cheese. 
Have you had fermented tea leaves yet? They're available in simpler preparation, but I don't like dealing with chilies, so I bought some already done into a pickle. I wasn't sure what Dan would think, but he enjoyed the salad I made. These are spicier than I'd probably make them, and everyone was happy with it. Thirteen bucks a jar is expensive, but also worth it for the time saved. 
I made a very non-traditional Lephet salad with some shredded cabbage and cooked chicken. Anyway, I've been taking inspiration from this cookbook...
I'm sure Mim crinoline robot could guide you to much more authentic Burmese recipes if you're interested.


Turning away from food for a moment...
You'll be happy to know I did not purchase this dress, but rather took a photograph to keep the memory
without owning the item. 
No really, look at this abomination up close...
Meow, meow. 

Ready for some clothes? Okay then. Standard warnings apply. 

A very cheap fast fashion dress with a very not cheap Eileen Fisher linen jacket. Both were thrifted.
I do like the generous pockets. 
Time to wear the lily of the valley brooch. 
The necklace and bracelet are a set but the earrings are not. I think they *almost* work. 
This might be the world's most boring jacket, but it is warm, well made, and goes well with most of my spring/summer wardrobe. But yes, it isn't anything to cause excitement. 

The print on this dress is excellent, but I'm not comfortable wearing a babydoll dress. It isn't so much age, as it is having worn my fill of them in the 90s. 



The necklace was purchased in the gift shop of a museum in the 90s. It is a little chipped up but that just enhances the cave painting look. It is inspired by Altamira cave in Spain. There's a close up of the fabric. I should have worn it for Easter as it reminds me of  Colomba di Pasqua. I'm still trying to decide if I like it enough to cut it apart into a skirt and shirt. I'm leaning in the direction of "no". 

Sometimes I revisit a style from the past and do like it, and in this case maybe I'd even say I love it.

The underside of the skirt has multiple strings for tying it up, but I can't figure it out. Maybe it is supposed to puff and blouse in spots? I skipped getting creative with it and instead wore it straight down. The parachute material was risky enough in our gale force winds. Perhaps it is for holding it in place after washing it so the pleats dry a certain way? I'm sure one of you will know!

The shoulders on the jacket are laughably big even by 80s standards. It works with the boxy shape though. 
Might as well put a giant 80s belt to use while I'm at it.
Been a while since we've imported clothing from Korea.

80s Givenchy necklace.
Honolulu, but made in Indonesia. 
I did not hand wash it. I chucked it in the machine on the gentle cycle with a few other things and it was none the worse for it. 
This 60s jacket has a matching pair of pedal pushers but I've worn it here with a skirt. 

The blouse is vintage as well. 

Some bangles.
Bad photo, good handbag.
More inept pinning of skirts but it makes it wearable.

Ah, memories of getting dressed for work in the 80s. 

Made in Japan! Definitely don't see that anymore either. 

I'll definitely be repeating this outfit, maybe with a cream coloured skirt as we move into warmer weather. 

The dress and cardigan are both modern, but with vintage accessories give an overall impression in the vintage direction. At least I think so. 

Fell in love with the print, and this time it paid off. Dress was originally from H&M and I found it at Goodwill. 



Some vintage accessories.
Better look at the handbag. It is incredibly heavy, but beautifully made.
Yep, that's one-of-a-kind.



Completely unnecessary cut-out in the back, but okay. I don't make a point of showing my wonky spine most of the time. 


Vintage beaded belt that was just waiting for the perfect dress. 
Isn't that pattern beautiful? 

I've saved the best for last again...
I do love a good vintage scarf and though it isn't exactly skiing weather, it is still cold enough for the occasional snow flurries. 
It isn't signed but it reminds me of a Tammis Keefe design. Or someone trying to work in that style. 







New to me vintage skirt by Panther. I don't usually get excited about beige polyester skirts, but this one is perfect.




I had the best bag to wear with it
There's that buffalo horn cuff bracelet again. I'm getting loads of wear out of it.
That's about it from here. See you later, aligator.










 




 









11 comments:

bahnwärterin said...

you knew i would love the ski themed scarf! :-D
but i too love the skirt you´rwearing with it - its very pretty made with the tiny belt loops, and ruching at the waist and the proportions are perfect. vintage clothes mostly have better proportions then modern ones..... are they?
your bags and accessories are spot on and beautiful. fabulous and inspiring outfits!
soup chickens are very expensive here - the egg laying hens never make it into the shops because they are to knackered after a life of turbo laying eggs. so soup chickens are a special breed now......
sadly the BW can´t eat broth made from animals - gout - but i do love chicken soup. can i come over for some? ;-D
xxxxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

It must be like dining every night in a Michelin starred restaurant in your house! Our butcher used to sell 'boiling fowl' and I remember my ex sister-in-law buying them in Birmingham Bull Ring market.

Wonderful outfits! I loved the green skirt and jacket; the H&M dress was gorgeous - that pattern! And as for the ski scarf what a gem!

Wonderful handbags, belts and jewellery as always.
xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Funnily enough, we call them soup chickens (soepkippen) too here. I've no idea whether they are readily available though. I don't think so, as I can't recall having seen them around.
Frankly speaking, I am more than just a little surprised that you didn't buy the abominable cat dress :-) but there are quite a few gorgeous outfits and accessories here.
I'm loving that yellow fast fashion dress, which is rather cute, and the Lily of the Valley brooch and not-quite yellow set are gorgeous too. The 60s jacket is right up my street too and I'd love to see the pedal pushers. The ski themed scarf is a stunner - even though I failed miserably at trying to learn to ski - and the wooden box handbag is a delight! xxx

Unknown said...

Hooray for much-needed springtime rain!

That pumpkin kibbeh looks delicious. I have never heard of pickled tea leaves, so now I'm intrigued.

The cat-and-doughnut dress is beautiful! I would have bought it for sure, assuming it was in my size. Something like that would be nice for sleeping in, even if it's too silly to wear in public.

You look great in that yellow ensemble, a color that not many people can pull off as well as you. And that H&M dress with beaded belt looks great on you. That unusual wooden treasure chest of a handbag is really cool.

That ski scarf is awesome, and the colors really pop against your black and beige ensemble. You're right, it does look like the kind of thing that Tammis Keefe would have done, and it probably dates to the same time period.

Emily said...

Oops, it was me who accidentally posted as Anonymous.

Vix said...

I thought of Beate as soon as I saw that fabulous ski scarf! I love how you've worn it over your poloneck, tres chic! The yellow dress is very pretty on you, fast fashion or not.
Yes, boiling fowls hang by their scrawny necks on the meat stall on our local market, they're very cheap here - not that I've ever bought one!
Loving the look of the bread and that herb omelette. xxx

Señora Allnut said...

Lovely to see some delicious strawberries and asparagus (love them!), and some fab food you made. The chickpeas salad looks like my kind of salad.
We have 'stewing hens' at local butchers, can be expensive if they're free-range, but so much better. They make the best broth, and you can use their cooked meat into meatballs or patties.
The abominable kitties dress put a smile on my face!. Thanks for this!
Lovely yellow dress and lovely jewellery!, lovely babydoll dress (even if I understand that you're fed up with them, 90's were too much!). Love that 'parachute' skirt and the cute jacket, so fab proportions, the pad shoulders look perfect! (80's rock). Also love that 60's jacket with the pleated skirt and cool bag!. And obviously, the best for last, that scarf and bag are F*ck*n Fabulous, they totally enhance the outfit!.
besos

Sheila said...

I have never cooked an entire chicken in my life.

I would have chortled at that cats-on-donuts print. Oh my.

I am admiring your handbag collection - the one with the little bird (worn with the yellow dress) is lovely, as is the heavy box-style one further down. You look great in yellow! I love the parure of yellow jewelry - I've had a few pieces like that.

I hear ya on the babydoll dresses - they feel too young for me, personally. I think the ties on that massive circle skirt are for hoiking up the hem unevenly (a very steampunky thing). I have an 80s Givenchy necklace too! I very much appreciate all the labels (I am a sucker for good labels - I love how much you can learn about clothes from them).

Every so often I find a really good H&M item, and I'm always surprised! I am wearing a pajama-style jacket by them today, in fact! ooh, love all that vintage amber-y jewelry, esp the earrings.

Wow to that scarf! What an amazing print! It's like something out of the New Yorker!

Happy week!

Propagatrix said...

I hope you continue to feel better. Love the outfits (is that box purse an Enid Collins?).

Beth Waltz said...

Never mind the unnecessary back cut-out, that is truly a fabulous print on that dress! (But how could you pass on the kittens-on-cupcakes pattern? I'd make shopping bags out of the fabric and give them as gifts.) And of course, you have the amber jewelry to set it off against a black knit -- please tell us more about that exquisite hummingbird carving.

Stewing hens? Haven't heard that phrase since I was a girl under the kitchen table playing with my cat and listening to mum and grandmum complaining that the butcher had sent "...a poulet, nothing but a poulet and not fit for dumplings." When I was a kiddie, one old hen named "Dumpling" was spared the pot because she was a reliable "setter" for hatching chicks and ducks.

Goody said...

@Beate
I agree, vintage clothes were better proportioned. We've lost so much with fast fashion.
You're always welcome for a meal. I'll make some Miso soup for the BW.

@Vronni
Most of our meals aren't terribly exciting, but I don't post those! Last night I served lentil soup from a tin and frozen vegetarian corn dogs (a hot dog wrapped in cornbread). In most cases it is more economical to cook, so I do it.

@Ann
Ah, so it wasn't just my mother inventing names for things! These days I suppose most people make chicken soup from wings as they're inexpensive.
I was a terrible downhill skier as well. Sometimes I'm amazed I didn't ski myself into a tree or break any bones.

@Emily
There seems to be a number of meme-inspired clothing hitting the shops. I guess they're funny to wear once but not once the novelty wears off.

@Vix
What can I say? Husband was a vegetarian when I met him in '92. I think living in Nebraska (aka "the beef state" corrupted him. I'll cook it, but I don't want to eat it.

@Monica
Agree that a free range bird is worth the extra money, though most of the free range birds in the US are being brought indoors now because of a bird flu outbreak being carried by wild birds. It has been just awful.

@Sheila
If you ever feel inspired to cook a whole chicken I'd go for a roaster-they're smaller and easier to deal with. Then again, if you've made it this long, why start?!
H&M are great for basics too, I just hate to do it. I haven't had much luck at all finding tee shirts in good enough condition used.

@Amy
Thank you!
The box purse with the bird is an Enid Collins ("Early Bird").

@Beth
I think, "Nothing but a poulet and not fit for dumplings" would make an excellent tattoo! Maybe across my behind ;)