Thursday, October 13, 2022

Not Dead Yet

Poor kitty has seen some shit. Not sure where they lost the whiskers and really, didn't want to be rude and ask. Feel free to consider it a writing prompt.

Update: a week later and kitty is still there. I'm getting tempted. Must not bring home.  We'll see what happens next week.

The pre-fast meal at Yom Kippur is complicated as it shouldn't be too heavy, nor too seasoned because no one wants to suffer through thirst and/or heartburn when they're atoning their sins. Kreplach is a traditional soup (think dumpling). Most years I roll out my own dough, but that wasn't happening this year so I bought a packet of won-ton wrappers at the supermarket and gave it a go. I figured the worst case scenario would be a meatball soup. They worked! Ignoring my lack of shaping skills, this was *almost* picture perfect. Further confession-the broth was purchased from Aldi, and the carrots came from a tin. I did chop some celery and onion to dress up the broth a bit, though that was the extent of it. I'm going to think of this as working smarter, not cutting corners. I have to budget my energy these days. The bowls were my mother's and there's only four of them left. No idea what became of the plates either, but they matched my Royal Doulton Tumbling Leaves china, so I went with that. The bowls are made by Prestige China (made in Japan) but there's not much about this pattern online. I think it was inexpensive. They're getting packed away again as I will be switching out to my Friendly Village dishes for the remainder of autumn and winter. I have a few of the Christmas pieces as well, so that carries us through. I've been parting with quite a lot of my china, but also making a determined effort to use what I have. 

One of the ways I make life easier is by cooking ahead when possible. I poached these salmon fillets early in the day and served them cold as salads hours later. There was a dressing in the spirit of tartar sauce (lemon juice, capers, mayo) as well. Anyway, no one's starving. Well, almost no one 😬. 


 
 Oh Beet Poot, why don't you pucker up and plant one on me?

Fine, I'll go first...

Been there, got the tee shirt

Perfectly normal. Absolutely. 

This was all brought about by the desire to wear an over-sized 80s Jaeger blazer without looking too serious about it. Well that's sorted then.

I have a few of these blazers. They really do make a fashion lover wonder what the hell we were thinking back then, but also appreciate the superb craftsmanship. RIP Jaeger, you were fabulous.

The "J" is for Jenifer, but if you want to think I deliberately wore it for Jaeger, you wouldn't be entirely incorrect. 

Must have woke up thinking about British heritage brands. The absurdity of someone like me carrying a Barbour bag makes it all the more fun. Bought it for a buck. Do I look posh? 

BOO! 

You have no idea how gigantic this lamp is. I didn't purchase it, leaving it instead for someone that can really appreciate a vintage giant jack-o-lantern lamp. I'm not really acquiring things now, but I do wish L  would stop trying to sell my things out from under me. He keeps reminding me that I'm sitting on a vintage collection goldmine, even offering to helpfully photograph and list it for me, which I understand but...I'd kinda like to appreciate the stuff while I'm here? I've left instructions for after my demise, but I don't know, it just feels impolite to try to sell my carefully collected over a lifetime things before that lifetime is over. We aren't skint, at least not at the moment so there's really no need to act with any urgency. 


 If I were acquiring things, this pair of lamps would have come home with me. Aren't they wonderful?

Even the shades were in good conditions.

So very, Wedgewood. They were too big for bedside lamps but wouldn't they be lovely in a white living room? Either end of a white sofa? Anyway, I restrained myself.

The same store had this skirt made from African wax print fabric featuring Opaapapa, a brand of tomato products from Ghana. I desperately wanted it, but it wouldn't fit, and I probably would never get around to re-working the fabric, but it would have made adorable kitchen curtains for our small window.

Maybe that's what's missing in my cooking! I usually just buy the Aldi own brand.


We have a market that carries loads of African and Caribbean grocery items. I'll have to look for the Obaapapa tomatoes and give them a try. 

I didn't bring home this art for anthropologists either, but I will say it was beautifully done albeit on plywood rather than stone. So basically, I've been out and about but not bringing much home. I did purchase an Ungaro suit because it was too good to leave, and I will wear the pieces this winter as separates. I can't say no to herringbone wool. No, I won't be letting L list it on eBay. 

Silly pose time! 


 

Not silly enough?! Wow, you guys are a tough audience. How's this?

Earrings I got in trouble for wearing to school because they were, "Distracting."

Speaking of causing a disruption, Dan earned himself a two day suspension from school for defending his bullied friend. The school said he was causing a disruption by bringing attention to the fact they did absolutely nothing to stop the bullying, but punished the kid for fighting back. Yeah, yeah, stupid public school administrator stuff. I'm proud of both kids and I hope they both continue doing the right thing even when the adults in charge clearly won't. 

Does this count as a bucket bag if it has a zip rather than a drawstring? Not that it matters, but I'm not sure what to call it. Etienne Aigner bags aren't as coveted these days as they were when I was young, but they should be. Want a beautifully constructed bag that will last forever at a fraction of the price the popular brands fetch? Well there's your answer. I linked to the site, but also avoided looking in the sale to avoid temptation-maybe you can go have a look for me.

Eccentric? You don't say!
In what way, exactly?



Is this better? I found this vintage dress (60s? I think?) on a rail of Halloween costumes at Goodwill and priced like a cheap costume. Works for me!




Went with purple accessories for no particular reason other than I wanted to wear some neglected items to justify their continued existence in my wardrobe.

I hate that I now feel like I have to wear it immediately or justify not selling it. It is a collection, not a business. I mean, people collect things they enjoy. Does everyone with a pottery collection use all the pieces?! Gah. Anyway, I guess the dress will move on as I don't have much use for a green lace dress these days. 

The navy silk shift dress from a few posts back had a matching jacket that I've pressed into service here for layering over a long blouse.
The ties in front are fiddly. I don't think they add anything, but the blouse is so good on me otherwise, I'll overlook it.

Not unlike wearing a giant silk tie-at least that's what it reminds me of. The skirt is a cheap, polyester piece from the 70s that I think cost about a dollar.
Slightly on the low-cut side but not in a gaping way so I didn't need to pin it shut for decency.


Vintage leather bag from the 70s.

Neglected accessories.

After the outfit above, my blue shoes decided to come away from the sole, and I was forced to dig out another pair of navy shoes. This 80s pair will fill the gap until I can get my blue Clark's fixed.


More neglected accessories brought to you by vintage Triffari.

Do you love old labels?

Until I started this post I hadn't noticed just how shabby this Made in France vintage bag was getting. Definitely time for a clean and polish. It is otherwise in good condition, just needs a bit of cleaning up. I have some navy blue boots that could also use some polish, so that's on next week's agenda.
I was certain this 80s skirt with red button details was blue when I got dressed. Outside daylight proved me wrong, but it was such a pale black that I doubt anyone else noticed. Sometimes I just cannot tell.
The buttons aren't operable, rather sewn on as decoration.

There's the polyester vintage Koret jacket in action. The poloneck is from H&M. I don't purchase much new aside from underwear, but for basics like this, they do make very nice pieces at a good price. I was wary of viscose thinking it might be uncomfortable, but it was just perfect. I do wish I could find one in navy blue, but thus far that search has been fruitless. Anyway, won't be needing blue for this skirt as it turned out to be black, so that's sorted!

Ghost dress and kitty legwarmers.

Act my age?! Ha! 


Act normal? I'll try. Will this do?

Vintage Gitano denim skirt

Thrifted linen blouse.
That fancy bag again.


Not my sign. My sign is, "Vacant". Ha ha ha, ain't I a laugh a minit?!

You look hungry. Here, have a pastry made with non-dairy cream cheese and sugarless jam and chocolate. Perfect for the diabetic and lactose intolerant in your life.

Chicken thighs baked with olives, lemons, and artichoke hearts.
Stir fry, anyone? I have some bargain broccoli.


 No, don't worry about the washing up-I'll get it. Here's some more outfits to look at until I get back.



Old jacket, thrifted around 2014. Vintage skirt is (I think?) 80s. I'm enjoying longer lengths now.

Close up of the print on the jacket. Darker in real life, but the light in my house is crap.

Brought out the vintage Gucci handbag.
And a pair of shoes I've had since the 80s. I don't wear them much, which is likely how they've survived this long.

Had a friend that wanted to paint the inside of the heel black on these so they would look, "More expensive". She was funny about stuff like that. Obviously, I didn't let her.

You've seen it all before, but not together.

There's a tiny jingle bell in the bat's mouth that makes it look like it is speaking when I move my head.
Detail of the skirt. Only on the front-the back is plain.

What?! You're still hungry? Here, have some green beans. I over-toasted the almonds, but they taste fine.

Those were frozen beans. .98 cents a bag. Well, now I'm out of food so I guess I'll leave you with another outfit to look at until I get back.

Wait a while, there's a call...

Some pervert wants to talk dirty. Here, you take it.

First and likely last wear for this padded bra. I spent so much time worrying if my boobs were dented in, it wasn't worth it. I guess requiring a padded bra can be added to the list of things I never thought I'd need to concern myself with. In the old days, we'd just stuff a bunch of tissues in there. Added amusement when multi-coloured Kleenex would start slipping out the top of a tee shirt. They stopped making coloured tissues and toilet roll-probably gave everyone cancer or something.

Skirt is by Phool, and made in India. I had no idea they did stuff like this as I associate Phool with block prints and cotton. No idea when it is from but if I had to guess I'd say late 80s/early 90s. I know I had similar lacy stuff back then, but it is such a timeless thing, who knows?




The more I look at 80s clothing from a distance, the more I  appreciate it. I've had this Outback Red cardigan since the early 80s (purchased I believe at The Limited) and it is still going strong.

This blouse is a bit of an extreme 80s example (it also has a matching skirt, but that was definitely too much) but I like the collar. I'm less in love with the buttons down the back, given my crooked spine, but as the years pass I'm more willing to wear something that draws attention to my deformity. After more than 50 years, there's little point trying to hide it. It is as much a part of me as anything else.
See what I mean? I'd stand up straight if I could, but I can't so that's that.
The sleeves are rather lovely. No proper shoulder pads, just a bit of gathered interfacing sewn in to make the shoulders stand out a bit. Just enough, to my mind.
The skirt is Sassoon. I have it in a larger size and was so happy to find this one so I didn't need to be parted from my favourite denim skirt.

Bass Wejuns penny loafers. Of course I put pennies in them. That's how I keep track of their age.

Those aren't real agates, but plastic doing a very nice impersonation. I have a slightly different version of the same set. I keep thinking I should get rid of one, but they're different enough that I can't decide! The tiny diamond and sapphire lightning bolt ring was my mother's. The pin was thrifted.


This Royal Tapisserie bag wouldn't typically be my thing, but I liked the colours, and it seemed well made. I'd seen it several weeks earlier and as it was still in the shop when I returned, I decided to splash out five dollars for it. The cashier looked at it, thought it was marked to high, and charged me three. Hard to argue with that. For a somewhat small bag, it holds all my essentials and there are times I am happy to have a cross body bag. 

There's the label from the blouse. I suppose it could have been late 70s-that font is definitely of the era, but I really think, based on the collar that the set came later. Not that  it matters, really.

Not much to say about this dress other than it was comfortable and looked nice. Every wardrobe needs those items.
This corduroy pinafore isn't my usual look, but was fun for a day.


Sorry, bad light, but it did capture the details.

More buttons down the back. I really liked the colour scheme of this outfit and might try it with something else that doesn't scream, "1970s primary school teacher".

I wore this to go to the Spirit Halloween store. To people outside the US: We have stores that are devoted to Halloween and only open one month a year. We didn't buy anything, but it is fun to spend time with Dan.




He's going as the "Spectre of Communism" this year. No, not really, but when the Halloween store provides you a hammer and a sickle, might as well take  photo.
And on that note, I'm out of here. See you next time.

11 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

Well done for Dan speaking up for his bullied friend. Can't understand the school's reaction though ...
Some gorgeous outfits and fabulous accessories here, reminding me I should wear some of my neglected stuff! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

beautiful outfits! both the elegant and the whimsical.
and berets! they look great on you.
i´m in love with the big fish pendant - so cute....
since a while i´m back to the 80s too - it dawned on me, that this time had the best fashions for my body shape and complexion...... the lose cuts but accentuated waists and the cool jewel tones and of cause the black suit me - imho.
and then all the wonderful food - especially the chicken casserole - hhhmmmmm****
as for selling your collection - strange idea - tell him. its yours and only you decide what to do with your treasures. ts.
well done, danny! some things never seem to change - it was always the same at my school back then......
xxxxx

Emily said...

Your kreplach looks so tasty! I heartily approve of "working smarter." Sometimes when I do things the hard way, I realize only afterward that my slavish devotion to the hard way was motivated mainly by an unwillingness to take risks.

I really liked the "art for anthropologists" picture on plywood. That animal looks vastly outnumbered but brave in the face of danger. I'd like to think that this scene was followed by a successful escape from the flying arrows.

Those are some great outfits. My favorite piece was that silky striped blouse that drapes so beautifully on your figure. It looks so soft and comfy, and the pattern is stunning. It's hard to find a blouse of that length that looks good with a dress and jacket, but this one works perfectly.

I'm so proud of Dan for standing up to bullies on behalf of another student. It's a good thing he didn't have that heavy purse that you've always wanted to punch Nazis with, or he really would have done some damage. : )

Tell your husband I said you should keep EVERYTHING in your collection and enjoy it to the max. : )

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Goody you've cut your hair and it looks wonderful! I must have missed the post where you showed it as I've been in Ireland.

Such fabulous outfits,,,it's hard to pick favourites. Loved the green lace ensemble; the African print skirt; the wonderful red skirt; the short patterned dress and the Phool skirt was something different indeed! I'm not usually a fan of Burberry but I loved the bag, the beautiful brown one and the fancy french one, too. Great finds. Brilliant jewellery as always.

Well done, Danny on standing up for his friend. Shame on the school. My daughter did the same thing in her last year at school and got expelled for it. Her school didn't handle bullying well, either.
xxx

Vix said...

Hats off to Danny, what a brave and principled young man he is.
Loving the denim skirt and linen blouse combo and that cute pinafore dress with the embroidered pockets. Those blue glass earrings are proper lovely. You look fab in a beret.
Phool and Adini are still going, I believe. Sadly they ditched the block prints years ago and seemed to go a bit Mother of the Bride, ditto modern day Biba and Ossie Clark, less hip and happening and more hip replacement. That 80s pleated collar blouse is ace.
I don't bother with bras, padded or otherwise. I'm proud of my A cups! xxx

Señora Allnut said...

Well done, Danny on defending his friend despite the lack of support from the people who should do their duty and take care of the students (Outrageous!!).
So delightful food and fabulous outfits, lots of bags and jewellery to love!. Your collection deserves to be enjoyed by You, please don't sell anything you love!.
My favourite outfit is that striped skirt with cat&pumpkin tshirt!, love those brooches! and so fab beret!, you rock it!.
And also rocking some Red Colour and some 80's fab fashion. I'm also embracing some 80's pieces with joy, particularly colourful prints!
besos

Sheila said...

So many good things in your posts!
- Yes, to the one-side-whiskers kitty
- what the hell is Beet Poot? This is a thing??
- Jaeger is good quality stuff. Is your name Jenifer?
- fabulous poses! I enjoy weird poses. :) Love the distracting cube earrings - I also love that you have so many "homegrown" vintage items from the 80s/90s (I let go of most of my stuff ages ago, before I was a collector).
- that bucket bag is amazing!
- as is the stripey skirt
- you look so elegant in the green lace dress
- I appreciate labels - bring 'em on
- I also think about what to do with all my stuff. I think about how I'm going to dispose of it all as I get older, including my husband's stuff (I'll surely outlive him). I have thought about a vintage fair booth...
- kitty legwarmers for the win!
- LOVE the black and brown shoes - so pretty! I remember Via Spiga!
- skirts/tops/dresses that are patterned only on the front are anathema to me. So annoying!
- I have a giant Phool velvet quilted floor-length vest from the same era as your skirt. I think your skirt is meant to be an under-layer. Love the phone purse!
- the pinafore dress looks amazing on you!

I so appreciate all your Hallowe'en frippery! Love it!

Propagatrix said...

1) I need a Beet Poot shirt for myself. 2) Good work, Dan! 3) I have an Aigner wicker creel bag and love it; 4) We have all the same Cat and Jack dresses.

Emily said...

I just had to tell you that your memory for era-specific fashion is always right on the money!

Just now, my husband was looking over my shoulder at your blog, and when he saw you in the blue corduroy pinafore and orange turtleneck, he got nostalgic and said, "That reminds me of what my elementary school teachers wore in the 1970s!"

Then I scrolled down to show him the paragraph where you said this was exactly the look you were thinking of when you put this outfit together.

Well done!

Beth Waltz said...

Well done, Dan! It's a delight to imagine the "Spectre of Communism" on the march in a good cause, even unarmed.

Now that I can no longer safely sally forth in heels, I covet them everywhere, including the elegant Via Spiga featured in this post. (How odd that one would suggest painting the inside of the heel black!) I've a few long skirts to wear with long-sleeve polos, so I'm making do with boots.

Quite right about Etienne Aigner bags being good value. I've an EA checkbook purchased to celebrate a promotion decades ago and two bags that have outlasted a mortgage. They do clean up well!

Goody said...

@Ann
The bullied child was attacked again in the stairwell, but it was caught on video so at least this time the bullies are being punished. However, they suspended the bullied child as well for fighting back to defend himself. It boggles the mind.

@Beate
You wear the 80s styles better than anyone!
I'm not sorry I home schooled Dan for all but the last 4 years. If he'd been there longer I imagine I'd be getting a LOT of phone calls from the school.

@Emily
If you look closely,there's the famous, "Dead Man of Lascaux" at the bottom. He's famous because the artist went to the bother of painting him with an erection. I'm glad to see this was faithfully reproduced.

@Veronica
Thank you! I had no idea how often I'd be trimming it, but so far I've been able to more or less do it myself.
So you've been through it too. What a shame the schools teach children to do the right thing and then punish them for it. The whole thing has escalated now, though Dan's managed to stay out of it.

@Vix
If I ditched the bra in Nebraska I'd freeze them off! Maybe I should try undershirts/vests.
I was proud of Dan. I know he could pretty much flatten anyone that came at him or his friends, but thus far he hasn't had to use violence. That probably would have got him in less trouble than speaking out.

@Monica
Thank you.
I don't know what the school was thinking other than speaking out made them look bad. He has a few more months until graduation, and I'm glad it will be over. I feel horrible for the other child who continues to be beaten up by bullies.

@Sheila
Yep, that's me. It was still an unusual name when I was born. A few years later it was everywhere.
I wonder what sort of skirt it would be worn under? It would have to be very short to show all the satin, lace, and flounces? No matter, it wouldn't be the first time I've worn a slip as a skirt.
Beet Poot is a SylvaC jar for beet root. On the shiftythrifting.com website it has been an ongoing joke because it looks like it said, "Beet Poot" and thus became the official mascot of the community. So that's the story.

@Amy
I imagine our closets would look more or less the same :)
I love the Cat and Jack stuff-cheap, well made, perfect for the under 5' person.

@Emily
Excellent! You know, I have a glass apple pendant with a bite out of the apple from the 70s that would have been even better if I'd thought of it.

@Beth
I'm proud of him for not just going and grabbing one of the bullies by the shirt collar and throwing them into the wall. I was only bullied once and it ended in a split lip for the girl, but I was never bothered again.
They're definitely investment pieces. I have a leather blazer too-I need to get that worn before it gets too cold.
Hope you're doing well.