Thursday, December 15, 2022

You Got to Take Sick and Die Some of These Days

 This wasn't the post I'd planned, but I hadn't planned on Covid either. I'm going to have a few things to say that might not be your cup of tea, so feel free to click away.

After the Thanksgiving holiday in the US (end of November) people were returning to work coughing, sneezing, etc. Not a mask in sight, save for the one my spouse has been wearing religiously through the pandemic. There's only so much a mask can withstand in an office full of sick people, so of course he caught it. To make it worse, his co workers were joking/bragging about how many times they've had covid. Ha ha, hilarious. 

He's in his 60s, diabetic, and asthmatic. Fully vaccinated and boosted, but still, preexisting conditions making him vulnerable. He was given a course of antiviral medications and so far (fingers crossed) seems to be getting better. He isolated from us, but it was no use. Five days later, I tested positive. So far, Dan is the only one untouched-he's going for a PCR test tomorrow. This couldn't have come at a worse time as it is his exams week. His instructors have all said they'll work with him, which is appreciated, but we're still hoping it somehow misses him. Meanwhile, his 18th birthday on the 20th that I've been planning a party for isn't going to happen. I'll probably be able to bake him a cake but what's the point when we can't all have dinner together? God knows he won't be blowing out any candles. Yes, yes, we can do the celebration later, but I feel bad. He's given up so much trying to keep us healthy (doing remote school for his sophomore year, not being able to hang out with friends, dating-all the normal teenager stuff). He's given up so damn much and here we are like unlucky people that get shot in the final days of a war. Is it so much to ask people that are sick to wear a mask or stay home if possible? I guess it is. 

I've been so sick the past year, and now this. I'm not worried about it killing me, I'm worried about it being debilitating. I'm worried about long covid. All the inconsiderate people that insist we "must get on with living" mean only themselves. They don't give a flying fuck if the vulnerable live or die, so long as they're not inconvenienced. 

So now I too am taking antivirals, and hoping for the best. I feel like absolute shit and can't imagine how much worse it would be without the vaccines and boosters.  I'm thankful for that. Hooray for science. Because I already have dysphagia to deal with, a sore, swollen throat will be the thing I need to be careful of. If I can't drink and get dehydrated, I'm screwed. Or getting an I.V. anyway. I've had enough medical bills this year-I could do without another hospital stay. 

Ugh, I am sorry for the rant. I know we're hardly alone in getting covid, it just feels like we've given up so much trying to well, not die. I'm very angry at the moment. I'm angry at the people that think it is such a laugh to get repeat infections, to infect others, to somehow show their political opposition how bloody strong they are by refusing to do the bare fucking minimum to behave like a decent member of society. I guess if we can't kill everyone with guns, we'll do it with disease. USA! USA!

I know how lucky we are having a big enough space to isolate, jobs that can be worked from home, medical insurance (that costs a fortune, but still) all those things make it all million times easier for us than someone working a low wage job without benefits. It upsets me that people who can stay home when sick chose not to, but there's such a stigma to taking sick time. Like people who boast about how little sleep they get. It doesn't make you look tough, it makes you look stupid. Go ahead, work yourself to death, but do I have to die as well? 

I've been yelled at, spat on, shoved-all for wearing a mask that harms absolutely no one. I really thought perhaps we were going to get through this unscathed, but that was silly optimism. I really hope we come through it because the same people that didn't care if we live or die aren't going to give a rat's ass about an orphaned teenager. I'll never understand being able to do something right and then just embracing the worst. Sure, people are stupid and cruel and always have been, but something's different now. As everything around us burns, floods, falls into disrepair we can pretend invincibility. For a while anyway. 

I will be back to work through the glut of pre-covid photos when I can stare at a screen long enough to post them. Thanks for listening.

Over to you, Muddy




14 comments:

Beth Waltz said...

You and Mr. ETB are the third couple -- same age, similar medical situations -- who have fallen ill with Covid since Thanksgiving. All fully vaccinated and boosted, but in every case the husband will still out in the work world surrounded by the ignorant, malignant yahoos you describe.

It's reassuring to know you have immediate access to the course of antiviral medications. They have been effective in alleviating the symptoms and probably shortening the duration of the illness. One husband is almost recovered; his wife is now testing negative. However, there will soon be a serious family discussion on his separating from the consulting position he took for a firm that begged him not to retire. As you note, some offensive remarks by co-workers cross boundaries of decency.

I'm glad you're up for a rant, Goody! That's the fighting spirit that will carry you through the battle with this horrible, sneaking, mutating plague.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry that Covid did get it you after all the precautions. I hope the medication helps to get through it and to prevent the worst.
We’ve all had it at different times despite being very careful. My daughter had it last week and was soo upset, because she is the only in her class who always wears a mask. Tough choice for a ten-year old… However, we did manage not to get it from her. So I hope your son will not catch it! Fingers crossed!
I hope you will all soon feel better. Good luck with the exams.
Hugs from Germany
Judith
P.S.: I really enjoy your blog and your sense of humour.

bahnwärterin said...

dear goody!
i´m so very sorry!
sending you both my strongest health wishes and lots of love...... totally understanding your fears and anger.

its not only the US - here in (rural) germany they have the same mindset about covid. thankfully no one of us BWs has to work in crowded spaces.

wishing a fast and full recovery! <3
xxxxx

Vix said...

I'm sorry Covid has reached your household but glad that you've been vaccinated and have access to drugs and that Mr EtB is recovering. Hopefully you'll be like me and most of my friends, testing positive but with no symptoms.
Fingers crossed Danny stays Covid-free and is able to sit his exams. Sending him best wishes for his birthday & good luck vibes and hope he gets to celebrate sooner or later. xxx

Polyester Princess said...

I'm so sorry that you and Mr. ETB got Covid. Hopefully you aren't too sick and Danny is spared the ordeal. xxx

Emily said...

I'm so sorry you and your hubby got sick. You've both been so careful and responsible all this time that you of all people ought to prevail. You don't deserve to suffer the fall-out from bad luck and the bad choices that other people have made.

I'm sure Dan will understand if your illness affects his birthday celebration plans. Whatever disappointment he may feel will surely be alleviated by the knowledge that the precautions you take are for the sake of his health as well as yours. This is what loving moms and dads do--they protect their kids' health.

Like Beth Waltz was saying, it's good that you're ranting. It means you have the will to stay strong and healthy.

Sending all three of you love and best wishes for protection,
Emily

Anonymous said...

You have every right to rant . No apologies needed. I sincerely hope both you and your husband clear up quickly and Danny stays unaffected.

Best Wishes Always,
Gail from Pa.

P.S .How did you manage with the recent snow event in the midwest ? I always think of you when I see the national weather report.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I'm sorry to hear you and your husband have covid. No, it's not too much to ask people to wear a mask or stay home if they have it but for too many people acting in a decent and honourable way is asking too much of them. One can only hope there is a Day of Judgement! Hope you feel better soon.

Meanwhile happy 18th birthday to Danny. You must be so proud of him.
xxx

Cee said...

My best for a speedy recovery and may Karma kick the bejeebus out of the selfish bastards who spread it around instead of isolating like mature, compassionate grown ups.

Goody said...

@Beth
I was just starting to calm down when I got the re-bound infection. Now I'm REALLY mad!
Yep, it has been everywhere. I guess there's an even more infectious variant out there now, so yeah, it is coming for everyone.

@Judith
Thank you. I'm sorry your family has had to go through this too. I suppose we can think of wearing the masks to protect others even if they're too stupid to know they require protecting. I don't know if that will make your daughter feel any better about it, but thank her for me anyway. Take care.

@Beate
Thank you.
Hoping you and the BW stay safe.

@Vix
He made it through all but two of his exams when the last were cancelled by extreme weather. Fingers crossed, he remains covid negative, but we have him isolating. The bad weather worked to his advantage as he was worried about his calculus and chemistry finals and those were the ones he missed. Instead the instructor went with the grades everyone already had, which worked out great for him. I guess the kids who needed the final for passing marks will be able to take the exams in January, so it all works out great. He was so relieved!

@Ann
Thank you. So far Dan's OK (touch wood). I got a rebound infection, so who knows how long I'll be isolating. I'm so angry at people maybe I'll never emerge! Joking not joking if you know what I mean.

@Emily
Thank you, I appreciate that being acknowledged. We tried. So far Dan's OK. He had a muted birthday celebration, but what can I do? He didn't seem upset or disappointed.

@Gail
Thank you.
We did OK as far as snow, probably about an inch and half total. The cold has been brutal, but as I've been quarantined indoors it hasn't really been much of a trial. The western half of Nebraska got the serious snow. I really feel for the ranchers trying to keep their cattle alive.
I hope the "Bomb Cyclone" doesn't land too much snow on you in Pennsylvania. Take care.

@Vronni
Thank you. I'm calming down a bit but still angry. I know it has made the rounds through your family as well and you can understand my outrage. Take care.

@Cee
Thank you! Yeah, I would hope eventually people might see the error of their ways, but? Ah well, what can we do?
Take care.

Mim said...

Your anger is completely valid. I'm not going to share stories of awfulness because you don't need to hear that right now, but covid's not a small thing, and the selfish gits who've acted like it's nothing are harming a lot of vulnerable people.

Miss Magpie said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Himself and I caught it exactly the same way, some selfish thoughtless idiot coming into his work when they knew they were sick. Fingers crossed the anti-virals and jabs have done what they should and you are well on the mend. xx

Señora Allnut said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!, and totally understand that you're angry after being extra careful and doing all the right stuff!. It's so unfair. So you have more than enough reason to rant. No apologies needed.
Hope Dan is still covid free and ready for his exams! Fingers crossed!
Glad that you're having a good medical attention and hoping both you recover from this!
besos

Sheila said...

People can be so fucking awful. I still wear my mask whenever I'm around people - and it's because of people like you and your husband who are immune-compromised! Why can't people understand that??