Monday, October 10, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie-Gourmet Magazine March 1973

I really cherish these old magazines, and am so happy to be sharing the recipes.

This is not a custard-type pie with a ton of cream and gelatin. No, this is the pie I've been dreaming of my entire life-I just didn't know it would turn out to be sweet potato. I don't know why I associate sweet potato pie with pumpkin pie, as this isn't even close. The strong lemon flavour elevates this to...I don't know what-candy? Candy in pie crust? I don't have the vocabulary to describe this pie, so you'll just have to make one yourself. Crack. This pie is crack-and I don't mean "crack" in the sense of, "really good" I mean "crack" in the sense of an addictive drug. I'll be shocked if this pie survives more than 24 hours before I'm baking another.

Because this is a "vintage" recipe, I'll post it as written.

Make pate brisee substituting 1 teaspoon sugar for the salt, and roll it out to an 11 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit the dough in a deep 9 1/2 inch pie plate, crimp the edges, and chill it for 1 hour.

Remove pulp from 5 or 6 baked sweet potatoes and mash it. There should be 2 cups. In a bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, softened and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, the mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup whiskey (I substituted 2 tablespoons brandy) the grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, and 1/2 teaspoon ground mace. Pour mixture into the prepared shell. Bake pie in the bottom third of the oven at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and move to centre rack baking another 40-45 minutes, or until set, and the crust is browned. Let pie cool on a rack and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Try to resist eating the entire thing in one sitting.

No comments: