Monday, October 10, 2011

Toy Soldiers

I am physically unable to walk past a clearance table of educational toys without making a purchase. Really. My knees buckle, my head pounds, and before I know it I'm on my way out of Hobby Lobby with Revolutionary War toy soldiers. Of course, I came home and checked out the manufacturer's website.

I hate to get all "history nerd" here, but...well, GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF.

Danny has already requested a number of Napoleonic Wars sets for his birthday, and Christmas (yes, he's still on that-sigh). I know he'll want the Crimean War set as well. The set we already purchased is exceptionally well made for plastic toys and well worth the cost. I don't think I've ever had a set of plastic toys that stood without tipping. They are sturdy, and the muskets won't snap off from normal play (I mean, unless you really try-like those "unbreakable" combs. You can break them, but it takes some effort.

I was gonna get a War of 1812 set but I read an article in the Globe and Mail suggesting Americans don't know anything about the war*, and are suffering historical amnesia. Maybe, but we know who burned down our capitol(clears throat)but I'd still like to wish our Canadian neighbors (neighbours) a Happy Thanksgiving.

* I still stand by my belief that you cannot properly teach the war of 1812 unless you are also teaching the Napoleonic Wars, and that obviously takes time away from teaching to the standardised test. (steps down off of soapbox).

No comments: