Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Double Celery Soup

"Kisses are only for mama."

Or so Danny informed Mr. Eat The Blog.

Actually, he was whispering:
"Please, don't make me eat any more celeriac. You always buy too much. You do it every year when it comes into season."

OK, he wasn't, but he was thinking it.




I am addicted to celeriac. I think it is the rarity of it around here that makes the late-winter arrival so special. Like the blood oranges, I try to get in as much as possible before it is gone. I've always been happy eating it fried in olive oil,or in a gratin with potatoes, or in mustard sauce, but THIS recipe from Dorie Greenspan has brought me around on using it in soup. After that massive onion/mushroom tart from the last couple days, this was really light and nice. I did not enrich it with cream or the like (we've been enriched quite enough around here lately, thanks very much)but it was still smooth and wonderfully decadent tasting.

My cheap-O blender from Walgreen's is still kicking, even after dozens of batches of pesto last summer. I swear, that thing is just amazing, and it handles the soup beautifully. Danny was sure he'd hate it but didn't. He still hates squash though-maybe Dorie has a recipe.

No comments: