Monday, February 02, 2009

Pizza? Torta? Bread?



I have no idea what to call this. I let the pizza dough go through a few rises and then made a deep-dish style pizza with red peppers, onion and olives. And a ton of cheeses. Pretty, but I probably should have used a springform pan instead of a couple 9 inch baking dishes as they were difficult to pry out.

Mr. Eat The Blog was pretty impressed.

That's the thing, really-presentation. This would have been perfectly good as a pan pizza but it looks so much more dramatic like this.

I served the pizza with a salad that really knocked my socks off. Romaine lettuce, slices of blood oranges, and sliced red onion tossed with olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper. Crazy easy. I saw it on a PBS cooking show when I was laid up and thought it sounded OK. Believe me, it was better than OK. I'd make this all the time if the oranges were available. Speaking of blood oranges-I went overboard (again) and made a batch of blood orange granita again but omitted the lemons and just went for straight intense orange. The colour is amazing and oddly enough, the oranges almost taste like blackberries they are so sweet. I just cannot get enough of those silly oranges-don't know how I'll keep myself distracted once the season is over-it is a long way until the first June strawberries.

Try the orange salad, it really is delicious.

No comments: