Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Nut-Free Cinnamon Meringue Stars


Christmas cookies are terrific any time of year (I think). I had leftover egg whites, and an idea. My ideas don't always turn out well ( just ask Mr. ETB about my idea for a fake, stick-on beard called, Beard Like Che. I was going to give out free berets to the first 100 people that ordered. Then, the recession hit, and I thought of, Beard Like Bernake-for Capitalist pigs. Anyway, the point is, sometimes my "ideas" don't work as well as I hoped) but these were cracking.

I substituted the ground almonds with finely ground porridge oats. No, these aren't exactly the same as almond cinnamon stars, but they are still pretty good. Using oats rather than nuts also makes them less caloric, if you care about that sort of thing (which I do not).

I am well aware of my inability to frost with meringue. As my dear old Gran used to say, "Tough Shit."

Hey everybody, look! Cookies!

You Will Need:

2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 egg whites for dough
1 3/4 cup finely ground porridge oats
1 egg white for meringue
1 cup icing sugar for meringue

Mix together sugar, cinnamon, and peel. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly (about 1 tablespoon at a time) add sugar mixture beating until stiff peaks are forms. Fold in almonds. Cover, and chill several hours until firm enough to handle.

Beat 1 egg white until soft peaks form, then slowly beat in icing sugar until stiff peaks form. Use this to frost the stars.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet generously. Pat out dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a very well floured board. The dough is very soft, and sticky. Place on baking sheet close together (they don't really spread as much as they puff). Frost with meringue. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool on racks.

No comments: