Friday, April 19, 2013

I Guess I'm Supposed to Say Something About the Marathon Bombing

-but really, what is there to say other than it was a horror? I still can't believe most of Eastern Mass was shut down for an armed teenager, but I don't make those calls. Interesting to see Watertown police have a tank.

I'm a little taken aback by how incredibly pissed off I've been since Monday. Sad, sure of course, but the overwhelming reaction I've had, as someone who spent a good chunk of her life living in Boston is one of, "Who the fuck do you think you are?" Well, now we know-a screwed-up teenager, and his screwed-up older brother. I'm relieved Boston hasn't become some sort of target for organised terrorists (or at least organised in the sense of more than two fuck-up siblings) but it hasn't made me any less angry. I wasn't expecting my reaction, and it would be easier to deal with if I were just anxious or depressed. It feels so damn personal even when I'm a thousand miles away.

I still can't believe they shut down everything from Boston to Watertown for the better part of 24 hours looking for this guy. I can't believe Watertown has a tank. I don't want to think about that today. I really hope they catch this kid alive so we can find out what the hell he was thinking.

No comments: