Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Snow Way!

We're going from 80 degrees F. to snow warnings tomorrow. My garden is hanging on for dear life.

Last weekend, we went to the Arboretum plant sale, and I bought another laurel tree. I think I know what killed the last one, so hopefully I can keep better track of what happens to it. I also bought a marjoram, and orange mint. I have no idea what we'll do with orange mint.

Last year's cutting lettuces have come back again. I never thought I'd have lettuce overwintering two years in  a row in Nebraska (really, last year should have been a fluke) and while I'm pleased to have the lettuces, I know this isn't a good sign.

In other news-we saw the first Ruby Throated Hummingbird last weekend. I hope it likes snow. Poor birds, they must be so confused. I should get the hummingbird feeder out...but gee whiz, it might well freeze! The barn swallows are back as well.

Last evening, I served the first pea shoots of the season. Tonight, I'll be covering them with a tarp.

Come on, Mother Nature-cooperate a little, OK?

No comments: