Sunday, May 04, 2014

Milk Glass Cookie/Biscuit Jar

As promised, here it is
My husband used to be fond of milk glass, so I bought this for him. He then informed me that he's, "kind of over it". Men. Anyway, I tend to use tins for storage of baked goods, or a crockery jar if required so I suspect this will be used as a vase for tall flowers. How do you get, "over" milk glass? I should think you either like it or not.
Similar jars on etsy place them in the 70's, but I don't remember anything like this. To me, something about the metallic paint on the leaves, and the overall shape of the jar would place it earlier, but I'm not an expert on this sort of thing. I would guess many of the sellers on etsy are not either. I'm not obsessed with knowing the history and age of the things I collect, so it isn't an issue personally.

"Over milk glass." Unimaginable!

6 comments:

Curtise said...

It's really lovely. You surely can't be "over" something as delightful as this?! I agree, it looks more 1960s to me too. Something about the colours and and style of decoration, it's not all brown and orange and that rather more geometric-looking design so reminiscent of the 1970s. But then I am no expert either. I just know what I like! xxx

Sue said...

Slap him back into loving milk glass!! That is really nice, yeah slap him!!

Connie said...

That really is beautiful and I think you lucked out in being able to keep it all for yourself. Yeah, my husband once told me that he "loved camping" and when we finally went camping he admitted that he actually hates it(that was a fun trip...Not!) and he just told me that he loved it because he thought it would make me happy. He never thought he'd actually have to Go Camping. Men.

Jayne H said...

I haven't come across milk glass before but that is a thing of beauty. I love the shape and the colours.

Unknown said...

I grew up (in the sixties) with this exact cookie jar on the kitchen counter! Brings back fond memories.

Goody said...

Thanks Leslie, now I have a better idea when the jar is from.