Monday, March 27, 2017

Small Items

This vintage hankie box was the start of what ended up being a couple weeks of lucky accessories purchases. The box still had the two original hankies it came with inside-they're currently in the wash.
I remember these drawer organisers being rather commonplace-then suddenly they disappeared. No wonder my dresser drawers are a mess! I do have some dividers in the lingerie, but they're nothing as nice as this. Anyway, a good reminder to pay attention to the useful items we take for granted-and then stock-up accordingly.
These aren't a set, but I purchased them together. I might wear them as such since they look so nice together.
I love the intricate detail on the earrings.
The Bakelite Gods kindly bestowed two similar swirled bangles (purchased hundreds of m miles apart) in a single week. Thanks, Bakelite Gods!
The Gods tossed in the cherries brooch as well. The 40's circular brooch was a nice find for .50 cents.
these earrings were too nice to leave for half a buck. I think they're some sort of shell (don't think they're coral).
The bracelet had a matching necklace that was damaged. I was permitted to just but the one piece-for a dollar. I think it was a nice purchase. The ring is modern, and the pretty cameo is vintage Avon. I must admit, Avon made some very pretty pieces back in the 60's and 70's. They're typically inexpensive, and in my opinion worth buying when you see them. Will they ever be collectible? Who knows, but they are attractive pieces to wear and enjoy.

 I've left the best for last. This very large Celluloid flapper comb was still intact (no broken pieces, all the rhinestones) and very reasonably priced by superb Etsy seller, Cheap Frills.
Deb sells wonderful vintage accessories at mind-blowing prices. Fast, friendly, and honest, what you see on the page is what arrives at your house. I have my eye on a few other items currently in the shop as well. Now I just need a vintage mantilla to wear with the comb! I'm not being compensated by Deb-just a happy customer. I'd been searching for a comb like this for years, but couldn't afford the ones I saw.

I'll try to do more of these posts devoted to items you wouldn't otherwise get a good look at in an outfit post. One of these days I need to devote some time to the handbag collection threatening to overtake the house.

Would you look at that? Monday is nearly over. Well done.


11 comments:

Hope said...

Welcome back. Well I don't think I would be happy to see your magnificent bag collection. I am already full of envy when I see your skirts. At one stage last year, thought crossed my mind to move to Nebraska and all the good stuff like you.This year I am avoiding purchasing clothes. Glad you are back it gives me joy visiting your blog.

Mim said...

Oooh the Vintage gods have smiled on you for sure - I love that blue bracelet, and the pearl-centred brooch. The cameo is really nice too. I'm not much into the 70s, but I do like the jewellery of the era, especially the rougher-textured, ultra-modern stuff. (If I win the lottery, I'm getting myself some Grima...)

Miss Magpie said...

I have the most immense brooch envy now, especially the cherries! *swoon*

Polyester Princess said...

Such a wonderful array of "goodies" that it's hard to choose a favourite. I love that cute hankie box (how clever!), the almost set of brooch and earrings, the Bakelite bangles and the Celluloid comb. But that 40s circular brooch is making me go weak at the knees! xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

What a clever idea that hankie box is. I shall keep my eyes peeled when I'm out rummaging - even a triangular tupperware container would do the job is one could be found. I have some dividers in my knicker drawer but need a bigger drawer...

What absolutely wonderful accessories you've found and it's great being able to see them close up and see the details. The brooches are marvellous; I love the earrings and bracelet; Bakelite bangles - yes please and the comb is fabulous.I'd love more posts like this!

Have a fab week

Vix said...

What a fab haul! The hanky box is fascinating, I've never seen anything like that before.
I have mantilla envy, I found one in a chazza a couple of years ago for 25p and promptly sat on it! x

Propagatrix said...

What a fantastic haul. Can't wait to see the pictures when you find the right mantilla to go with the comb. One of my friends lives in Madrid, and I am always bugging him to get me a peineta/mantilla combination so I can wear it to church on Good Friday. (I do wear small mantillas or chapel veils to weekly Mass, and I am now on the lookout for one of those triangular hankie boxes as I presently transport my headcoverings to church in a film can.)

Goody said...

@Hope
Thank you!
Nebraska is an interesting place, but our climate is terrible. Good vintage shopping is a consolation though.

@Mim
You're right about brushed gold in the 70's-it was great looking.

@Miss Magpie
The woman at the store looked at me like I was mad buying an "Old thing" like that brooch. The enamel isn't perfect, and she probably thought it was too damaged to buy.

@Ann
You have a good eye for brooches so if you like it, I know I selected well.

@Veronica
Ha! "Drawers" being another term for knickers/pants. I DO need bigger drawers, in both senses of the word.

@Vix
Oh man, I know that feeling of ruining a vintage piece but that must have been gutting. It actually sounds like something I would do.

Radostin said...

Oh, that flapper comb! The cherries are particularly delicious, but I must agree with Ann, Queen of brooches; that 40s one is my favourite. I love these details, thank you so much for going to the bother of making these posts, highly appreciated!

Goody said...

@Propagatrix
I know where you can get a Victorian/Civil War era one, but it is $$$. Were I made of money I'd buy it myself.

Goody said...

@Radostin
You're welcome. It helps me to know what sort of thing people like seeing.