Wednesday, February 09, 2022

And a Hundred Years From Today, All You People Will Be Gone Away

Shirt reads: I have a migraine and no context for this.
Like all the best tee shirts in my wardrobe this one comes from the lovely people at Shifty Thrifting. I believe it  references an argument someone was having online that ended with the quote. I fully intend to wear it to my next neurologist's appointment. I think she'd laugh. She did look horrified when I mentioned being a perfume collector and how I hope that doesn't end up being a migraine trigger for me. I think the horror came when I mentioned (roughly) how many bottles of perfume I own. I haven't worn any in weeks because honestly, I'm afraid to do anything that might be migraine inducing but sooner or later I'll give in and fingers crossed it goes well. Most of my migraines seem to come from bad sleep and bright light. 

If you're looking for a creative gift the Shifty shop has more than shirts. There's mugs, tote bags and even stickers. Supporting artists has been a priority for us during the pandemic and you couldn't ask for nicer people. Anyway, that's my plug for our friends.

I had another birthday. Here's one from long ago, but I know it was a birthday because I had to pose with the gift for a photo. I always thought that was a strange activity, but I'm told other people did that too, particularly if the gift came from a far off relation, then the photo could go in the thank you note. This was a gift from my mother. Years later, when I lived in Boston I gave the dollhouse to a friend that had four sons and one daughter. She was looking to buy something that would be special just for her and knowing boys wouldn't go within a hundred yards of a dollhouse, I offered her mine. It had been sitting in a box since 1978, and it made me happy to see it go to someone that would enjoy it. I was never really the doll house type, but that didn't stop my mother hoping I'd become one.  One more disappointment.

This birthday was a much more sedate affair and I took a hard pass on wearing white trousers in February in Chicago (what were you thinking, younger self?). Some flowers and a card were given and then I went to bed early. Wild party! 

After an appointment with an endocrinologist, it was decided I should wear a blood glucose monitor 24/7 for two weeks. This should catch if I am having any problems overnight with my numbers getting too low. Lately they've been really good during the day, so maybe things have straightened themselves out. That would be nice. I don't enjoy pricking my fingers all day long to draw blood and take readings. This thing is great-I forget it is there. 
Crappy mirror selfie but I wanted to show you my shark's teeth shirt. Sometimes I wear this one to the dentist for laughs. 
This sweat suit was a rare purchase of new casual attire (aside from the novelty tee shirts) but it has been in constant use since spring. It is rare to get a good quality cotton fleece that doesn't shed fluff everywhere, but this one never did. The inside is very soft, something I appreciate even more now as my skin is painful to the touch. Target has some nice stuff, and there was something on the tag (I've since discarded it) about sustainable cotton growing and responsible water usage. There's so much waste out there, but hopefully this will provide years of use if not to me, to someone. The zipper on the top is heavy and well made. 

The bathroom has the best light in the house at the moment. February is grim in Nebraska. 
Never thought to wear these two pieces together. I rather like how it looks, though I only selected this jacket because I was too tired to look for the one I planned to wear. I'm sure it is on the rail in the basement but this turned out even better. Don't you love when that happens? 
Silly pose as I try to show the shoes but end up looking like I just dismounted a horse. Howdy, pardners.
Some details of the jacket


The jacket was a Christmas gift several years ago. Lightweight wool, but beautifully lined in silk and surprisingly warm.
I should wear it more than I do. I've left it downstairs over the back of a dining room chair to remind me to wear it, Will it work? Time will tell. 

There's the shoes and handbag I was trying to show in the earlier photo. The shoes are by Selby which is known as a comfort shoe brand. So yes, they're for old ladies, and I am an old lady. They're perfect. 

The dress is rather "old lady" as well, though a proper old lady would have had a slip in the correct length for it. I own a LOT of slips but somehow never have one that's exactly right for the job. 

I laughed when someone suggested the print on this dress is "a little vagina-ish". 
If your vagina is looking anything like that, better book an appointment with your gynaecologist right away. Geez people, is that all we have to do?!
This giant, heavy brooch that I think was originally a pendant is a mystery. I know I have seen it before and it is meant to be a replica, but my brain isn't putting it together. Scythian? Viking? Meso American?  No idea. I know you're all smart, so maybe someone knows what it is. 
I had to own something with my zodiac sign on it. 
The rubies set in cheap metal, not gold. Yeah, I don't know why either but it is a beautiful piece even if it isn't particularly valuable. 

Crazy 80s jumpsuit, anyone?
Can't touch this😁
I would NOT have worn this in the 80s. I bought it because it was a good piece for my collection as it is representative of  late 80s silliness, and purple too! I didn't expect to ever wear it, but it fit so, here we are. I'm wearing a bodysuit beneath it as it is too low-cut for my tastes.
1980s leather clutch
The maker label. Not a brand I'm familiar with. 
It was fun to wear once, but back it goes into the collection storage. I can't see myself making a habit of dressing like this. Nuisance too, when I need the toilet.

An interesting bit of layering inspired by a crochet mini dress that I was having difficulty figuring out how to wear. I thought it would look good over jeans, but it didn't. Finally hit upon this idea and I rather like it. 
There's some beading on the dress as well, though it is hard to see in photos.


It didn't look like much on the rail either, but it was a "last chance" purchase and set me back a dollar. I guess no one else knew what to do with it either!
You've seen the skirt before, by 80s brand Star CCC. A shiny grey skirt is always going to be practical. Please appreciate the dramatic pose. There's a reason I'm not a model. Well, there's several reasons starting with my appearance, but I wouldn't be very good at it anyway. It just veers into Zoolander territory when I try. 
Still, I don't want to take myself too seriously either. 
Thought you might enjoy a selfie from the powder room. Yes, that mirror needs cleaning. I clean the mirror almost daily but somehow the male need to turn both taps on as high as they will go so that the full force of water sprays everywhere-well, I can't seem to break them of that habit and I've stopped trying. It is easier to just clean the mirror. I choose my battles wisely. 


I'm spending less time on Instagram of late. Partly that's down to the endless scrolling bothering my eyes and all the video/reels flashing by. I don't need to actively encourage a migraine. But it is also partly the general mood over there . I've been witnessing some terribly cruel mean girls type behaviour from people that really ought to know better. I don't know if it is jealousy, or something to do with business competition, but whatever it is, I don't like it. Valid criticism is one thing but when they start piling on and tearing someone apart because they think she charges too much for her vintage and ends with attacks on the size of her behind, well that's my cue to leave. I've unfollowed/blocked so many people in the past couple of weeks. Mob mentality scares me, and I don't want to be a party to it even if I'm silently scrolling through. Has anyone else noticed Instagram getting crueler than usual lately? Some poor woman (and she's a lovely person) got told she looked like a gnome in giant boots. I just don't understand what goes through people's minds.  Decades from now, do they think anyone will care? Or they'll look at the exchanges and think, "Oh yeah, that was right, that lady did have a big bum". I promise it won't matter. In a sea of awfulness, history won't care about your Instagram posts. 

I'm guilty of my share of unintentional cruelty, so why go looking to be horrible for the hell of it? God only knows how I'm being trash-talked but thankfully no one has said it to my face. I understand that there are a number of people that "Hate follow" accounts or worse, follow chronic illness accounts waiting for someone to die. I've not directly encountered either, but yeah-we need to do better as a species. Maybe the next epoch will be ruled by cats. If they don't like you they just ignore you or walk away. I did have to block someone here, but only after very fair warning. I don't know what their issue is, but I do know that I can't put up with it. So far that's been a very rare occurrence. 

Wow, that got off topic. Sorry. Back to the clothes.
This is a Cyn Les by Shirlee sweater from the 70s.

Silly pose? Check. 
Wooden beads over a textured vinyl. Strange one of a kind bag.

This is my other Cyn Les sweater featuring a cheeky giraffe. I don't think all of their sweaters featured giraffes, but the two I own do.
Here's the first sweater worn a few years ago with corduroy shorts (which I regret donating) and some boots I've been waiting for it to get cold enough to wear. The shark on the door was put up after it became public knowledge that the then president was terrified of sharks. 

Would you just look at that smirk?

The 70s weren't all novelty sweaters and corduroys though. There were polyester maxi dresses.
This dress is another of those, "Good example of the style" pieces I never envisioned myself wearing. It was surprisingly comfortable for polyester knit, but it is cool enough outside to keep from sweating. I think this was intended as a spring/summer dress but definitely not in Nebraska. I'd die of heat stroke if I wore this in summer. 

I couldn't decide between orange or white plastic accessories and in the end went with copper and white enamel. That seemed like a good decision. 

I'll leave you with what I wore today. Nothing fancy that you haven't seen before, but pulled together enough to look like I made an effort. That'll do.

An old snakeskin bag I should use more.
and one last silly pose. 


The line from this song that I've used as a post title always made me a little sad, but I read it a little differently now that I'm older. The song is worth a listen if only for the god-tier songwriting talent that was Paul Kantner rhyming "Thebes" with "Seas". Nobody else was doing that. 
Long John Silver was probably my favourite Airplane record and definitely the one I played most when I was young. I've been playing it along with other old favourites to see how they hold up and yes, this record still works. I've been thinking of putting together some playlists of old, strange, guilty pleasure, all of the above type music. My musical tastes are all over the place, so it could be fun. And strange. Anyway, this was the only recording I could find to share. See you next time. 





















10 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

I'm glad to read you've been fitted with the blood glucose monitor, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the problem has indeed sorted itself out. Crossed fingers too for your perfumes not being a trigger for those migraines!
Loving the "granny dress" outfit, and the groovilicious dress of the next one.
The giraffe jumper is fabulous too, I can't believe you've got two of them! The white pleated dress with its orange trim is a stunner too, and I'm loving the skirt in the final outfit.
I'm mostly just scrolling through Instagram and reading and liking the posts of the people I like. Having made my account private has been a help too. The reels are doing my head in though. I have, however, noticed some of the nastiness you mention on Facebook, where I've had to block several people. Mob mentality is never a good thing! xxx

Vix said...

That dress isn't old lady at all, I love it on you!
I hope that the glucose monitor provides some answers and that the perfume isn't triggering migraines, that would be awful for such an enthusiast as you.
I stopped using IG a couple of years ago, I didn't encounter any nastiness, I just couldn't keep up with it. Blogging is enough for me and far more civilised by the sounds of it.
You were a lucky little girl having a Lundby Gothenburg, only the rich kids had them. I had to wait till I was 50! xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I love your silly poses!

I also loved the way the giraffe on your sweater was peeking down your neckline - cheeky sod!

Some fabulous outfits, Goody. My favourites were the white maxi dress and the 80s jumpsuit. Both looked wonderful on you. You also have some amazing jewellery and 2 of the most ginormous earrings I have ever seen!

Hope the glucose monitor shows some good results and that the migraines stay away.

I look at Instagram briefly once a day usually. I rarely post but haven't encountered any nastiness. I also look at FB once a day; usually to see if anyone in the family has posted. That's it. Blogging takes up enough of my time and I could drop both FB and IG in an instant if I needed to.
xxx

Emily said...

Happy belated birthday!!!!

Those giraffes are so cute, especially the one that likes to take a peek down your blouse.

That's great that you were able to pass the dollhouse on to another family. I wasn't much into dolls or dollhouses either. All I liked to do when I was a kid was read books.

That colorful embroidered jacket is perfect with the solid-color dress. Is it cocoa or purple? On my monitor, I can't tell, but it sure is pretty. And the white and orange dress is stunning.

I hope fragrance never becomes a trigger for you.

Anonymous said...

You look so cute in your corduroy shorts and boots photo !

I like the crochet mini dress over your gray skirt .The jumbo filigree earring tie the look together with a lot of flair.

Speaking of style flair, the "80's" jump suit is beyond , well just beyond me. I never could grasp the concept in fashion during the 80's. I certainly was left behind in that decade.

I frequently read the comment selections in the Washington Post and other news outlets. It always amazes me how quickly a conversation can digress into name calling. It really adds nothing to understanding an opposing view and is a major time waster when it becomes so trite.

Stay safe, stay sane,

Gail from Pa.

bahnwärterin said...

the dusty rose coloured dress is fabulous - to me very Cybill Shepherd in "moonlighting"... esp. with that trench from last post.
the extremely beautiful jacket looks north indian/kashmiri to me - maybe it is even made of kashmir wool - what explains the warmth......
love the "ancient" pendant!! gorgeously huge and viking/scythian is always a plus in my books (i do think that those cultures are not so far away one from the other then old school science told us).
the crochet dress worn as tunic pver the gray shiny skirt is genius - agree that this kind of skirt is very versatile - have one too (made by me). and yellow with gray is such a cool colour combo! and very cool jumpsuit - now - not back then :-D
the white 70´s dress is a stunner - but i totally understand the problem with the material......
@insta: i know why i´m not there.
xxxxx
ps: your gran in siberia made me courious - history nerd that i´m!

Sheila said...

Oh, Goody, I adore your rambling posts. Never stop rambling. :)

Love the Migraine tee, love your dollhouse from when you were a wee thing (lovely Dorothy Hamill hair! I had the same cut!). I had a dollhouse that my mom made from plywood and particle board - she made furniture out of sticky paper covering cigarette packages! (really) I loved that dollhouse - it was about 3' tall, just massive.

Hooray for modern technology and your glucose monitoring. Fingers crossed. I love your goofy poses - I recognize a fellow silly person (and I mean that in the best way). Your blush dress is fantastic - not old lady, especially when styled by that amazing jacket. It looks South American to me (the jacket). My slips also never quite line up and are often showing below my hems (clutch your pearls!).

I love the "vag" dress (lol, I would call it that forever), but you have some of the best jewelry. That ginormouse brooch/pendant looks Viking-inspired. The rubies in cheap metal - that looks Indian to me (as in, from India), and it may be that the gold-coloured metal was electroplated with a thin layer of real gold at one point. Truly beautiful.

My jaw dropped at that fabulous 80s jumpsuit - hard to actually wear stuff like that, without looking out of era (I have an acidwash denim dress with massive shoulder pads and it often feels very "of its time"). I looked up the label, and found a couple of other jumpsuits online tagged as 80s, but none as fine as this one.

I like the long crocheted tunic - I recognize it as a mid-90s style, as that was when I worked in a clothing shop that sold them! We wore them with tank-tops underneath (same or contrast colour), along with crinkled "broomstick" skirts and long pendant necklaces. There you go.

I have never done FB or Insta - like Vix, blogging has always been enough "online" for me. Plus I don't have a phone so f**k it. There is too much negativity out there. I'm sorry you had to block someone from your blog. I have a few slightly creepy readers who are always asking me to wear my leather clothes. Yuck. I don't want to think about it.

Your giraffe sweaters are awesome, especially the one checking out your cleavage! Love the pick of you in your cord shorts!

But OMG, you took my breath away with that last white 70s dress! Wowsers, that is amazing! I totally get that "it looks like summer but this is too hot" fabric. I have a pink sleeveless long gown from the mid-70s that can only be worn in the dead of winter with my bare arms hanging out, as it's like being wrapped in plastic. No breathability in that fabric!

I collect vintage copper (specifically Renoir and their sub-set Matisse, although not every piece I see, just the ones I like), and have never seen a set like this. Is it marked?

When it comes to music, I believe there are no "guilty" pleasures, only pleasures. Art is subjective - if it gives you pleasure then it's good.

Have a wonderful weekend! I hope it gets warmer for you soon!

Beth Waltz said...

Belated felicitations on the annual observation of your natal day! The success of the glucose monitor is a gift from the Cosmos. Knowing your flare for accessorizing, I wouldn't be surprised to see you invent a decorative cover for the gizmo, something along the lines of a Celtic armband or a Gilded Age garter.

That magnificent broach does seem familiar. "Sutton Hoo" pops up on the mental card index when viewing the beasties at the top. But the lad pouring out the brew feels more Teutonic than Nordic.

Your ensembles in this post display the imagination lacking in the almost- uniforms I've worn in recent weeks. The crocheted mini over the gray skirt is a twist on the traditional lace and satin combo. Elegant fabrics, elegant lines, and a boho glimpse of striped socks at the hemline equals just the outfit for an expedition to the Rare Books gallery of a great university library.

Thanks for the referral to Shifty Thrifting! I spy several gift ideas!






Propagatrix said...

So many things to say and I will never possibly get to all of them...Happy Belated Birthday. Migraines and blood glucose troubles suck. Your wardrobe is enviable and your hair looks great. And you had a Lundby dollhouse! I have some of the furniture (as I was and still am a dollhouse girl, because I am fascinated by teeny things -- had to be dragged away from the Fairy Castle on every Science & Industry visit). Hang in there, friend.

Señora Allnut said...

Happy Belated Birthday. I'm damn late in my commenting again!. I look at IG once a day or so, but haven't had any problem (except creepy men asking for... whatever). Actually, I like IG but sometimes it's too time consuming and reels overload my system (loud music, bold letters, quick movement, too much!).
Hope that this new glucose monitor work, it looks really better than pricking your fingers. Glad that your doctor is taking care of you.
And obviously I love your outfits, and totally in love with that embroidered jacket over the old lady dress, rocking it!. And had a laugh about the 'vag dress' (people have some imagination). The massive brooch-pendant is really beautiful, but I can't say if it's celtic, viking or hindustani or byzantine, so you can call it 'indoeuropean' to be safe. Many cultures have these kind of designs!.
That 80's jumpsuit is simply fabulous!, love the purple colour and the fantastic design. I remember them well, and remember also the problems when going to the toilet!
Your giraffe top is such an amazing piece, love it!. And the white maxi dress with the orange details is totally 70's fabulousness, even if polyester is not the most practical thing ;D.
Love your plaid skirt and matchy bag, so cool!
I'd enjoy a playlist of some of that 'eclectic' music!
besos