Sunday, April 03, 2022

Braised Turnips-Gourmet Magazine November, 1980-and some outfits



I didn't have turnips, but I had parsnips so that's what you're looking at. The bacon is uncured turkey bacon, but I've otherwise stuck to the recipe. This would be a great recipe for meatless bacon-you're really just going for something smoky and crunchy to toss over at the end. Smoked paprika would probably get the idea across as well. This time of year root vegetables are about all there is, and I'm always looking for something new to do with them. 

Braised Turnips

Cut two pounds of turnips into 1/2 inch cubes and in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water blanch them for 1 minute. Drain the turnips in a colander, refresh under cold water, and pat them dry. 

In a large skillet (I just used the large pot that was already dirty) sauté 1/4 pound of sliced bacon, diced over moderately high heat until it is crisp and transfer it to paper towels to drain. Add to the skillet 1/2 cup minced onion and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used margarine) and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the onion is softened. Add the turnips, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, or tinned chicken broth and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and sugar. Toss the mixture and braise it, covered over moderately low heat for 15 minutes rt until the turnips are tender. Cook the mixture, uncovered, stirring until all the liquid is evaporated. Add the bacon, 2 tablespoons minced parsley, lemon juice (didn't give amount so I did 1/2 teaspoon) and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the mixture well, and transfer to  a heated serving dish. Serves 8. 

Served it with a chicken. Yes, that's a lemon in the cavity. No, I don't bother trussing. 

Here come the outfits, so head's up if you're just here for food.
I wore this vintage Victor Costa dress almost exactly a year ago, though I wasn't aware of that when I decided to wear it. 
Here's last year. I went with the original belt this time, but looking back, I also like how it looked with the black belt. No idea why I did brown shoes and a black belt. Probably couldn't find my black shoes. I'm not in love with this dress, though the draping is lovely and the crepe fabric is pleasant enough to wear. I'll probably keep it, but next time I think it might look better with tall boots. I'm missing something and I can't quite figure it out. Some clothes are like that.
It was so cold out I ended up wearing a wool jacket over it anyway. We're still in winter I'm afraid. 

Another day, another opportunity to wear something I did like. 

Nothing you haven't seen before, save for the scarf I picked up a few weeks ago. 




My wardrobe is starting to feel extremely limited as nothing fits properly anymore. Rather than spend a fortune on alterations I'm strategically pinning and belting and waiting for the time I can wear my favoutites again. Until then, I was determined to make this skirt work because it is easy care and has good pockets. Priorities, you know! 
Balletcore, lol. What will these kids come up with next?

I bought several pair of these tights a few years ago when K Mart was closing.
The shoes are Clarks that were unworn when I thrifted them. I love Clarks, but I know they don't work for everyone. It almost makes up for the fact that my feet can't tolerate Lotta From Stockholm clogs. I've always wanted to wear them, but my flat feet won't have it. 
More like JoanDidioncore. The kids haven't caught onto that yet.
The perils of buying clothes online. I didn't notice how dark grey the shirt was, and also that it is a viscose. Wasn't what I was going for, but I decided to keep it anyway as a tee shirt is always useful. Also wouldn't describe it as "extra small" but it is ok. 
A better look at the wrap jacket. I have it in mustard yellow as well. They were on the sale rail at Target. It also came in a muted red but I thought two were enough. The flocked material is nice, and the sleeves fold up easily for washing my hands. I get more of a posh straightjacket than ballerina though. You can see how the front pleats look wrong now that they're pinned, but that's ok.

I was excited to wear this vintage 70s polyester skirt I found at Goodwill. Being very sheer and clingy, I paired it with my best pink slip and was thrilled with how it came together. About an hour later, I was back in bed flattened by nausea and migraine, but that's how it goes. I will definitely wear it again, because I loved how it looked. I'll consider this the rehearsal. 
Maybe next time, silver accessories. I was going to wear a full length white, Geiger coat with it as the weather is still cold. In spring I have some pastel blouses to wear the skirt with, but today I felt like black. Maybe not "Fashion" but I like it, and never really cared if my outfits look dated. They're vintage, ffs. 
I can usually tell if a zip belongs on the side or back, but I just couldn't figure this one out. No label to guide me, I went with the side. If I can't tell, then likely no one else could either.  

I'm off to watch the Grammy award's red carpet. I don't care about the show, just the clothes. Hope to see something interesting. 

Have a good week. 


























9 comments:

bahnwärterin said...

the candy pink skirt is fabulous - looove the colour! and the almost matching bag. can see it with the pink flowery coat from lately.....
balletcore ;-DDD looks good on you - great skirt. the new scarf has something eastern european to me - flowers in bright colours, golden ornaments, boldness. and the perfect bag.
i know what you mean about the bordeaux dress - once i had something similar in black, gorgeous fabric, high end quality, intricately details, perfect fit - but hard to wear..... ended up wearing it without any accessories, only "black legs" aka super black tights & plain black ballerinas. your boots idea seems very clever to me.....

can i come for dinner??? the chicken looks like painted by an old master and the turnip/parsnips sound delicious - we love both veggies. thanks for the recipe!!
xxxxx

Polyester Princess said...

Loving the rich berry colour of that vintage Victor Costa dress, which I think looks great both with its own belt and the black one. As for having worn it almost exactly a year ago, I've lost count of the time that has happened to me! Also loving the candy pink skirt, which you must definitely wear again, and the funky tights you wore with the grey "Balletcore" skirt. I'm still at a loss about what all those core things are about, but meanwhile "JoanDidioncore" had me in stitches. My PC's dictionary wanted to change that into "Noncomprehending", by the way :-)) xxx

Sheila said...

"Balletcore"...surrrrre....I love that minimalist look - it's one I did back in the late 90s/early 00s, when bias-cut long skirts were all the rage, worn with our bodysuits.

I'm here for the clothes (lol) so here we go. Love the burgundy dress, but that's a lot of neckline filled in. It can make it tricky to style, as it's just so much dress. I adore the lovely wool jacket you wore over it.

Your black ensemble is lovely. I spy an Oscar de la Renta signature on your new-to-you scarf, how awesome. Looks to be from the 80s. Great cuffs.

I used to buy those busy-patterned tights, but I don't like how the pattern "fades" when they are stretched out. The wrap jacket is a nice colour.

Love your baby pink skirt - I like it with the gold jewelry as it pops nicely against the cool pink. I never care about 'fashion' either - most of my outfits feature clothes that are at least 10-40 years old.

I will be reviewing the red carpet on Go Fug Yourself, and Tom & Lorenzo. I hope for some crazy sh*t. :)

Emily said...

It's so nice to see you in pink! And that Victor Costa dress looks nice both ways.

I love Joan Didion, and you do seem to be channeling her look, as well as her wit. Coincidentally, she was also petite-- just five feet tall-- and she made it work to her advantage:

“My only advantage as a reporter is that I am so physically small, so temperamentally unobtrusive, and so neurotically inarticulate that people tend to forget that my presence runs counter to their best interests. And it always does. That is one last thing to remember: writers are always selling somebody out.”

Vix said...

You don't often see the words turnips and gourmet in the same sentence, do you?
I really like that Victor Costa dress on you. I think I'd wear it like Beate did with one similar and ditch all the accessories and let that fancy drapery do all the talking. Your Kashmiri woolwork jacket is fabulous as is that wrap jacket on you.
I must admit that I had to Google Joan Didion, I'm such a pleb! xxx

Beth Waltz said...

Once upon a time a version of the Victor Costa dress was a staple in my winter wardrobe, the packable dress to wear at meetings during the day with patent pumps and to the evening's "event" with high-heeled Etienne Aigner boots. You're right about the boots being the better look.

The textured wrap jacket is interesting! Love the sleeves!

Goody said...

@Beate
You're always welcome to come for dinner. We'd have great fun together!

@Ann
My computer dictionary is routinely overwhelmed by what I throw at it ;)

@Sheila
Would you believe I have another de la Renta scarf with similar flowers on a black background? Man knew what worked for him!

@Emily
She was a force. People definitely didn't know what they were in for. Her takedowns of Bill Clinton were epic.

@Vix
You're not a pleb, you're of the best read people I know. She just didn't generate an audience outside the US for some reason.

@Beth
Somewhere I have a pair of wine coloured boots, I just need to find them.

Mim said...

I do hope you get to wear all your old favourites the way you like them - and soon! You do know how to style a good belt. Those Target wrap jackets look really nice.

Goody said...

@Mim
Thank you.
I love belts.