Thursday, March 31, 2022

Oranges and Lemons

I wasn't certain dairy free/sugar free paska would be doable. I'm pleased to report it is.
My decorating skills aren't what they used to be, but the breads are so pretty it hardly matters. They have an abstract quality.

I've used a number of different recipes over the years, but this one from the now defunct blog, Mennonite Girls Can Cook is my favourite. The recipe may be found HERE. I made a few changes starting with dairy. I used an extra creamy oat milk for this, along with a good quality vegan margarine. I wouldn't go with cheap margarine for this as they're mostly water and crappy oil. I also substituted artificial sweetener for the sugar using Swerve granulated. I used much less than the 3/4 cup called for in the recipe as artificial sweetener is so much sweeter than sugar. I also took a pass on icing it, opting instead for a more traditional, if not slightly cack-handed decoration on top. 

Because paska is such a light bread I went ahead and used plain all purpose flour. Could I have gone with whole grain? Sure, but I bake these once a year, and even with all the accommodation of going dairy-free/sugar-free it is still bread. The boys know that, and are consuming accordingly. I wouldn't rule out using white whole wheat in this recipe, but that's not what I went with this year.

In years past, I didn't have a blender that could manage pureeing an orange, lemon, and their peels. This year I do, and it made very light work of the recipe. I've done it with a small food processor, in batches, but it was messy and the peels never did completely puree. That was okay, as bits of peel in a holiday bread can be nice as well, but this came up completely blended. When I started getting sick, we invested in an OSTER blender to puree food. It wasn't even that expensive-I think it was around $45 USD but it does pretty much everything I'd expect from a blender. I know people spend hundreds of dollars on blenders, but it is hard to imagine what more they could do unless they cook dinner as well. Not being paid by the company to review it, just really love my blender. 

Decorating the top of a paska is a skill I've barely managed, but there's a few things you can do to make it easier. After you make your decorations place them on a tray in the fridge to stay cold while you wait for the breads to rise. This will keep them from puffing up. I used an egg wash of yolks and water to brush the loaves and affix the decorations before baking. Some people use toothpicks to hold everything in place through the first 20 minutes of baking, which would probably help with decorations sliding around. Also, these breads really rise, so lower your rack in the oven or you'll be cleaning baked dough off the top element. After the first 20 minutes, pull the loaves out, rotate them and give them another brush with the egg wash. This will make for a deeper golden colour. You could even give it a third brushing near the end if you see spots of bare dough that you missed. Or you could just ice the whole thing and save yourself the effort. 

As the bread bakes the smell of citrus and egg bread fills the kitchen with the most gorgeous aroma. I'm happy to report toasting slices of the bread on subsequent days has the same effect. When it goes stale, it can be used to make eggy bread/French toast or a beautiful bread pudding. Whatever you do, don't toss it out. 

Paska freezes well, tightly wrapped in a layer of wax paper covered with either cling film or foil. The wax paper/greaseproof layer is important as it protects the bread when it is time to thaw. Breads should always be thawed wrapped to keep them fresh. 

I don't have round pans that would accommodate that much bread dough, so I baked in Pyrex casseroles (one round, one oval). Make sure you grease them well because these breads will stick, especially if any of the egg wash drips down the side. A sharp thin knife run around the edge helps with that. I could have lined the casseroles with parchment, but didn't think of it until later. Isn't it always like that?!

Now that you've had dessert, how about something more substantial?

Who doesn't appreciate a big pot of beans on a cold day? I had half a packet of black eyed peas waiting to be used, and I went with an Ethiopian inspired recipe that may be found HERE. I skipped the extra hot pepper as the boys aren't much for them and I didn't feel like going to the store for a single pepper. It turned out well, and they enjoyed it. Instead of purchasing Berbere spice I threw together my own using the recipe HERE. Now I have extra for future meals. 

Earlier in the week there was chicken piccata that I served with a side of chickpeas and summer squash. The photo is terrible, but the recipe is very, very good and may be found HERE.

And now for an outfit.

First wear for this spring suit in a synthetic fabric that mimics linen. I like contrast piping and was happy to score this suit for a fiver.
The vintage snakeskin/lucite bag was perfect with it.
I woke up to a light dusting of snow covering the ground, though the roads were warm enough to stay clear, if a bit slippery. I won't be heading out until later in the day, but it isn't expected to warm up until later next week. That's rather typical for my part of Nebraska. Can't plant anything but the hardiest greens until mid-late May. I let the gardeners mulch over the main part of the vegetable garden as I know I just can't do it this year. The young men looked a little disappointed but I pointed to the perennials, and assured them I'd be doing the sunflowers later. Even if I could do the planting, dragging buckets of water and weeding would be a chore. Once the sunflowers go in the front of the house won't look so bare. Hard to think about gardening when it is snowing! We could do with some rain though. That would be welcome as there's brush fires everywhere and our dry snow won't do much for that. 
Stay warm, and eat some beans😀.


















 





9 comments:

Emily said...

Mmmm, you look so luscious in that brown and cream suit, just like a big slice of tiramisu!

It's been years since I've been to an Ethiopian restaurant. I'm going to try that black-eyed pea recipe next week. It sounds perfect for a chilly spring day (which we still have, even though we're starting to get a little more sun now).

Your paska looks beautiful. On one of them, I see a teddy bear with one arm hidden behind his back. : )

Everyone talks about Vitamix as the gold standard for blenders, but I just don't feel the need to pulverize smooothies and soups into oblivion or spend a fortune on Vitamix just to be able to say that I own one. I have an Oster like you, and if memory serves me correctly, it was from Target.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

I have never heard of Paska but boy does it look yummy! I can just imagine the smell....we had snow today, too!
xxx

Anonymous said...

What beautiful looking bread ! Your recipes always look delicious and healthy. I think I might come back to this post to study the recipes better.

Your suit is really smart . Oh I forgot to comment a while back on the feisty looking rabbit pin. His attitude sums up how I feel most of the time.

We had snow squalls and super gusty winds one day and the next day was 73 F and humid. Crazy !

Best Wishes,
Gail from Pa.

Vix said...

It's snowing as I type!
That's a very classy outfit, I love the clutch bag especially!
I've never heard of paska but it sounds (and looks) lovely. I bet it would make a fabulous bread & butter pudding! xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Those paskas look amazing, and I don't se anything wrong with your decorating skills!
Loving the outfit, especially that jacket which looks very classy, and that fabulous snakeskin and lucite bag. I think I might have something very similar in dark brown ...
We woke up to a layer of snow this morning in the B&B we were staying in near Bruges, but apparently only a light dusting here. I do hope we don't get any more. xxx

bahnwärterin said...

no beans for me today as i´m going to have a bit of socializing ;-D
but the recipe sounds mouthwatering - as the chicken does too! is this bread what our bohemian neighbors call "easter bread"? they make it with raisins inside and "hail sugar" (big cristals of white sugar) on top for easter sunday - mostly as a thick braid - but i´ve seen decorated ones too. speaking of - totally love your decorations!
your outfit is fabulous - the suit is eleganzt and cool!
stay warm too!!! xxxxx

Goody said...

@Emily
What I like about Ethiopian cooking is that most of the ingredients are easy to find. Maybe not teff flour to make injera, but I've made it with whole wheat too.
A Vitamix does seem like overkill, but maybe they can do double duty with a food processor for things like hummus or nut butters? Out of my price range, for certain. I've driven used cars that cost less!
The bear was supposed to be a cross:)

@Vronni
Thank you! I hope you have Good weather for your time in Ireland.

@Gail
Thank you!
I feel bad for the daffodils that started emerging into this weather. I say a few buds starting on the magnolia bush though, so spring must be coming.

@Vix
I will probably make a bread pudding from the second loaf as there's only so much they can eat before it goes stale.

@Ann
Snow on a holiday seems unfair, unless you're going skiing.
I hope you get better weather.

@Beate
Czech Easter bread is a little different, I think it has raisins, lemon, and almonds and is called, Mazanec. I've never made it, but ought to give it a try. I've made the Christmas bread, Vanocka which is similar. Paska is plain inside as the fruit is pureed into the batter. If there's a bread, I'll try baking it at least once ;)

Sheila said...

Mmm...beans. I pretty much only put them in chili - I'm not a very imaginative cook!

Love that fantastic suit, and I am swooning over your eelskin/Lucite clutch. Fabulous!

Mim said...

Oh, we had chicken piccata recently too - it's such a lovely dish for spring, isn't it? And those beans look really good.

I can just imagine the whole house smelling delicious as that bread was baking.