Saturday, June 04, 2022

Coronation Tofu

 



Can't let the Jubilee pass without offering my rather successful vegetarian version of Coronation Chicken. Constance Spry, I ain't, but the salad ain't half bad. I made a few adjustments to a Guardian recipe HERE . 

I made the dish in the photo TEN YEARS ago! Talk about nostalgia. We took it on a picnic to the city (because we still lived in the country, so we went to a city park in Omaha an hour away for a picnic). 

My changes as follows:

The Tofu: Slice a block of extra firm tofu into slices 1/2 inch thick. Press dry between towels for about thirty minutes. meanwhile, make a marinade of:
1 veggie soup base cube
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
A generous grind of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons neutral salad oil (I had soybean)

Whisk together, pour over tofu in a pan. Turn tofu once, then bake in a 400 degree F. oven 30 minutes. Turn the slices, bake another 30. Cool. Slice as thinly as possible in strips to resemble shredded chicken, or dice finely if you prefer. This will be your, "chicken" proceed with recipe.

For the chutney:

I cannot handle mangoes as I am allergic to latex and the sap on the skins gives me a terrible rash (true, strange I know). To compensate, I used fresh peaches, dried apricots, and some apricot jam to make a sweet chutney.

1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1 cup raisins
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons thick apricot jam
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1/8 cup finely chopped ginger root
1/2 cup water
4 fresh peaches, peeled and chopped

Combine all, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thickened. Makes about 1 1/2 pints.

Cute picture of kiddo ten years ago on his visit to the city park. We live ten minutes away from this park, but never go. That's something I need to correct soon. Maybe whip up some Coronation Tofu and drive around for an hour before arriving? Maybe not. 

"Can't we just eat at home?"






7 comments:

Emily said...

Aww, Dan was such a cute little kid!

Since the Queen didn't go to her own jubilee parade, you may have to ask someone to drive you slooooowly around the park for an hour while you smile and wave at the onlookers. : )

Vix said...

That's such a sweet photo of Danny!
How ingenious to make a veggie version of Coronation Chicken, its not something I've ever tried - Anglo-Indian food was forced on us as schoolkids when we had school dinners in the 1970s, I'm still traumatised! xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Not a fan of Coronation Chicken, but I must admit your vegetarian version is looking rather tempting!
And ooh, how cute does little Danny look in that photo! xxx

bahnwärterin said...

he really was a cute boy :-D
the recipe sounds fab - i would try both versions - we do like chicken and tofu too - not in the same dish of cause.......
xxxxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

My daughter made this a few days ago. She said it was delicious but unfortunately there wasn't enough for me to sample! Danny was so cute...
xxx

Sheila said...

Gawds, it seemed like every channel here in Canada was covering the Queen's anniversary! I love the look of that 10 year old chutney and chicken, yum!

Beth Waltz said...

Hmmm....looks much too healthy to be Coronation Chicken but both Constance Spry and I will overlook your vegetarian tendencies if you'll close your eyes to our large glasses of Pimm's. Just the thing to keep in one's sterling flask alongside one's marmalade sandwich "for later".