Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bread Dumplings in Paprika Sauce

So I finally made dumplings from my stale sourdough. I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner, but I guess it took a cold, snowy night to stick in my brain. I didn't eat them (I'm sorry, I know this is sort of a heresy to admit, but I don't really like dumplings. Shhh...we'll keep that a secret between me and you and the Internets). The boys dug them, so swell-another use for old bread.

What really made them interesting was the sauce, a white sauce flavoured with onions, mushrooms, and paprika.

As I didn't really measure for the dumplings (hard to know how much milk a certain bread will absorb, etc.) I'll leave you with the recipe for the sauce.


You Will Need:

1 carrot, thinly sliced
a handful of chopped parsley
1 onion, chopped
1 cup tinned mushrooms (really, that's what I used) drained
2 heaping tablespoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
a knob of clarified butter
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons clarified butter
2 tablespoons AP flour
2 cups Whole Milk

In a frying pan, cook the carrot, parsley, onion, mushrooms, paprika and tarragon in the butter until soft. Remove from heat and adjust salt and pepper.

In a small pan, melt the butter over medium heat and cook with the flour until it foams. Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat, add vegetables and sauce and mix well. Pour over dumplings. Keep warm until ready to serve.

No comments: