Monday, January 03, 2011

Lemon Rice(Neebu Chawal) (sort of)


I made a few changes to the original recipe in, The Spice Box Vegetarian Indian Cookbook, but it still turned out wonderful. I wasn't sure how Danny would feel about something so tart, but he didn't complain (and cleared his plate) so I guess we can add this to the regular curry/rice rotation. That's good, I like variety in the weekly menu.

You Will Need:

3 cups rice
6 cups water

(I use slightly less water to cook my rice, but that's more a personal taste thing)

3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup cooked green peas
2 tablespoons chopped stem ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped, preserved lemon (yeah, that was my addition)
5 fresh curry leaves
Salt to taste

Cook the rice well ahead (a few hours and least) and let cool in fridge. When completely cold, break it up.

In a very large pan or pot, heat the oil and over medium heat, fry the mustard seeds until they pop. Lower heat, add peas, ginger, and cook a few minutes until ginger is soft. Add lemon juice and curry leaves and cook a few minutes longer. Remove from heat, and stir in the rice a bit at a time (I needed a metal spatula to break it up well). Cover, and keep warm until ready to serve.

No comments: