Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday Morning Bannocks


Each Sunday, I drag my behind out of bed, toss together a few ingredients, and pat them into a baking dish. In the half hour they take to bake, I assemble a tray with an assortment of flavoured butters, preserves, jams, Golden Syrup, Maple Syrup, and whatever else I have that needs to be used-up. As breakfasts go, this is a great improvement over flipping pancakes, or scrambling eggs-and the clean-up is easier as well. Oh sure, I hear you traditionalists out there complaining that Bannocks need to be made over a campfire, just as the traditionalists insist good soda bread must be baked over peat. I used my shitty Amana oven, and in half an hour, had breakfast on the table along with tea, fresh squeezed juice, and coffee for Mr. ETB who insists, "Tea makes you throw-up."

I didn't think to take a picture until the very last bite, but my, isn't that lovely looking bannocks and marmalade?


You Will Need:

1 Cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 to 1 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch cake tin.

Sift together dry ingredients. Stir in butter, and raisins. Add water slowly, mixing with your hand lightly until you have a soft dough. Pat it into a pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve with assorted butters, jams, and the like.

No comments: