Friday, January 21, 2011

This Cake Was Supposed To Be A Pie



-but the crust sank, and the filling never set, and I tossed them both in the dustbin. Typically, I'd try to salvage it, but I couldn't face it today. This cake is pretty much foolproof, which is good, because I've been in damned fool territory all day. Luckily, I raced out yesterday to stock up on oranges (I mean, pounds and pounds of oranges) so fresh squeezed juice for the filling wasn't an issue.

In other news, I taught Danny double digit multiplication today because he seemed ready. He still can't tie his shoes, but the maths thing is going well.

The oranges-good god people, I can't stop eating oranges. Man alive, I love oranges! Under half a buck a pound? I might have overdone...no, I did not. I did not. This really does seem like an exceptional crop. If I didn't have a freezer stocked with dead deer, I'd freeze some juice.

The cake and filling are both from the 1950 edition of The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook. The frosting was improvised and thankfully came out OK though a bit on the sweet side.


You Will Need:

For the Cake:

2/3 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Grease and flour 2 9 inch baking pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream together sugar and butter until light. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift dry ingredients and add vanilla to milk. Add each in alternating additions. Pour into pans, shake to even and bake 25-30 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then remove to rack. Cool completely before filling and frosting.


For the filling:

1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter

Combine in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it boils. Cook 1 minute longer until it thickens. Cool completely before using.

For the frosting:

4 tablespoons butter
4 squares unsweetened chocolate (4 ounces)
2 2/3 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(about 1/4 cup heavy cream)

Melt the butter and chocolate over low heat in a heavy pan. Beat in sugar, salt, and extract. Beat in cream until you have a spreadable frosting. Continue beating until it holds a shape for frosting. Use immediately. Frost over a rack as it really tends to drip, then scoop up the extras on the pan below and well...no one will miss a few tablespoons of frosting...or half a cup....

No comments: