Thursday, January 06, 2011

Homemade Mustard


I was inspired by the recipe at Local Kitchen, HERE, but then I did my own thing because I don't keep beer on hand, and my blender is a piece of crap, and well...you know. The original sounds wonderful, and it is probably a much more nuanced mustard than what I made, though I must say, mine came out rather well.

I used vermouth rather than beer. I also soaked the seeds for two days which softened them up a great deal more, thus eliminating the need to blend quite so long. After the mustard had cooked, I beat the living daylights out of it with a hand mixer. That worked much better than I would have anticipated. I really like the idea of using dried fruit in mustard, and if I make another batch, I'll try apricots and perhaps a sweet white wine. The malt vinegar was a great addition-maybe that's what really makes this mustard distinctive. Anyway, I'm inspired now, as I always believed mustard was something that couldn't be made at home. I guess that's wrong.

This is going to be so wonderful with homemade rye bread and venison sausage.

No comments: