Friday, January 28, 2011

Spiced Orange Jelly

This jelly is really wonderful-I wish I had made it earlier as Christmas gifts. Oh well, maybe next year.


You Will Need:

6 cups chopped Cara Cara pulp
1 cup chopped lemon pulp
1 cup thinly sliced Cara Cara peel
2 large cinnamon sticks and 5 whole cloves tied in muslin
1 cup water
1 box powdered pectin
5 cups granulated sugar

In a large pot, combine pulps, peel, water and spice bag. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover, and cook 10 minutes. Strain through jelly bag slowly. Measure 4 cups (don't squeeze the jelly bag). If you need to, make up the rest with water.

Combine juice and pectin in a large pot (it will foam-up as it cooks). Bring to a boil over high heat. Add sugar, stirring constantly and return to a full rolling boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim foam and fill sterilised jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with heated lids, adjust screw bands and process 10 minutes in a water-bath canner. Makes 5 half pints (about).

5 comments:

Raymond said...

What? No dashes of Angastoura Bitters in all these marmalades and jellies?!

Goody said...

Not with my precious oranges-I'll wait for the peaches and nectarine jams in the spring.

I looked today, a tiny bottle of bitters is almost eight dollars.

Raymond said...

But it lasts forever.

I dunno.. it seems like bitters would go so well with orange. Hmm!.. I have oranges and nectarines; I think I'll eat one with a bit of bitters as a 'dipping sauce...'

Goody said...

OK, you've convinced me-but if I don't like it, you're getting a case of bitters infused marmalade in the post (you'll get some anyway).

I bought another 18 pound bag of grapefruit today (bought one last week and it is already gone)and more blood oranges. I swear to god, I'm going to burn a hole in my stomach lining.

Raymond said...

I had some orange and grapefruit with a few drops of bitters on it. Hm... ok, I guess. (The fruit was too cold; I think room temp woulda been easier to taste the blend of flavors). Tip: just a dash, for a hint of the Bitters' spice.