Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quick Cinnamon Coffee Cake


This recipe comes from my well-worn copy of, From Amish and Mennonite kitchens. This is a really fantastic recipe to have when you need a simple, but delicious cake-in a hurry.

You Will Need:

1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup shortening, melted (I used butter)
1 egg (I used large)
1/2 cup milk (I used whole)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I increased this to 1 teaspoon)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan.

Sift dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and meat with a hand mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Pour into pan. While cake bakes for 25-30 minutes, prepare topping.

Topping:

4 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I had pre-mixed cinnamon sugar so it was a bit stronger)

My addition-whipped cream sweetened with icing sugar


When cake is baked, remove from oven and brush with the butter. Top with the sugar and return to oven. Bake 5 minutes longer.

I served it slightly warm, and it was delicious-and actually somewhat light. This would make a wonderful breakfast on a cold morning.

No comments: