Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Made A Million Pounds of Baked Beans

OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but it still is quite a bit of food. These baked beans...what can I say about them other than who knew beans could be that magnificent? I credit the homemade mustard, but really, having six hours to slow-cook them in the oven does wonders for most beans (this works even better with lima beans).

I've made this before, HERE. This time, I used a combination of Blackstrap molasses and Golden syrup which seemed about right. I also had the homemade mustard. I know some people will balk at the prepared ketchup, and if I used enough of it to bother canning my own in the summer, I would, but truthfully-this is the only thing we use it in. Potatoes get vinegar, and we don't really do things like veggie burgers. If you really hate commercial ketchup, a good approximation could probably be made from tomato sauce/paste/spices and vinegar. I do encourage you to make the brown sugar by mixing your own molasses and sugar together because those bastards that sell supermarket brown sugar are just laughing at you as they count the fistfuls of money they make off suckers that buy their over-priced brown sugar. The homemade stuff doesn't go hard either, in my experience.

Tomorrow, steamed brown bread to go with the leftovers.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

OMG, I *love* that steamed brown bread. (Baked in a can?). And baked beans too. I could eat up all you have of both of these in about two days.

Goody said...

With the weather being so horribly cold, steaming a bread for 2 hours actually sounds like a welcome activity. At the very least, it might get some humidity into the air.

I forgot to mention-these beans freeze well, so the recipe isn't unreasonable for one person.