Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cranberry Ice Cream

















In advance of Canadian Thanksgiving, I thought I’d offer my recipe for cranberry ice cream ( Sigh, I was going to do cookies as I have a wonderful old maple leaf shaped cookie cutter that was a souvenir of a trip to St. John many years ago, but I’m afraid it must have been misplaced when we moved. Guess I’ll just have to go back and get another…)


You will need:

1 cup of prepared cranberry relish ( 1 package cranberries cooked in 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, simmered for ten minutes and then permitted to cool at room temp).

½ cup heavy cream
½ cup whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix everything together and process according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. My machine is sort of wimpy, so I stir in the majority of the cranberries afterward.

You can make this as ice-milk, which I frequently do. For extra tartness you can add a bit of orange zest (omit the vanilla).

No comments: