Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cherry Freezer Jam


I had pounds of cherries but the weather was too humid for canning (well, too humid for me to stand over pots of boiling water) so I opted for freezer jam. This recipe uses pectin (which I had to run out for because I've never used it before) which I suppose adds a bit to the cost, but my time is also worth something. This jam was made in under an hour. Not bad.


Because it does not get processed in a canner it must be either kept in the fridge and eaten within three weeks, or frozen. I doubt it will last three weeks, but I'll freeze some just in case. I was able to get three finished pints from a quart of chopped cherries.


You Will Need:


1 quart fresh cherries, finely chopped-juices retained

4 cups granulated sugar

1 package Sure-Gel Pectin

3/4 cup water


Wash and dry 6 1/2 pint jars that can be frozen, or plastic containers. Pit and chop cherries and place in a large bowl. Cover with sugar and mix well. Let stand ten minutes.



Place water in a small pan on the stove. Whisk in the pectin and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly. After it comes to a boil, cook one minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir into fruit mixture until sugar is dissolved-about three minutes. It is OK if a few grains of sugar remain.


Pack into jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours before storing in fridge or freezer.

4 comments:

~Babychaser~ said...

I'm wondering what kind of cherries you used. Does jam use sour cherries like baking does? Or can I use the tons of Queen Anne or Bing cherries we picked this week?

Goody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goody said...

You can use bing cherries-I did. If you like a tart jam, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to approximate the tartness of sour cherries (sort of, because you know, nothing compares to actual sour cherries if you're lucky enough to have them).

Good luck, and happy jamming.

PS-Queen Anne cherries are too dear in these parts, so I've never tried them (something like $9 bucks a pound).

Goody said...

Just wanted to note that this post is getting quite a few hits and that by clicking on the Cherries tag at the bottom of the post, you can see other uses for the cherries that are now in season. I made a really wonderful cherry sauce this week that uses some of the same methods as jam without pectin. Anyway, feel free to have a look around and again, welcome.