Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lemon/Strawberry Tart Pt.1


I finished baking this tart late tonight and will add the strawberries and glaze tomorrow. Here's part 1 of the recipe for the crust and filling. The crust itself can be made a couple days ahead. A note about the crust-it was a colossal pain in the behind. If I were to make it again I'd stick to my standard sugar-crust as I've never been too terribly impressed by tart shells that make use of powdered sugar. I suppose that's a matter of personal taste, but I prefer mine a bit heavier. I did end up trimming away part of the sides as it began to collapse during baking. This was (I think) due to the springform pan. I have flan rings (thanks to the generosity of my mother-in-law) but none were the size I needed-nor was the springform. It will be a bit deeper in the filling, but otherwise fine. For the sort of thing I'm doing with the topping it is probably better. This will probably unmould fine, but if you have 11 inch tart pans with a removable bottom-use them.


My plan for tomorrow is to top it with some fresh strawberries (I have a tonne of berries at the moment) and glaze them with a melted red currant jelly. Check back tomorrow for finished photos.


This recipe is also from the May 2006 Bon Appetite Magazine where I found the jam recipe. It called for a food processor to make the crust but as I did mine by hand, I'll post the recipe that way.



For The Crust:


2 cups all-purpose flour

6 tablespoons granulated sugar

4 tablespoons powdered sugar

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch pieces

2 large egg yolks

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream


For The Filling:


1 cup whipping cream

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

4 large eggs

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel


Crust:

mix flour, both sugars, and salt together. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until a fine meal. Whisk the yolks and cream together and add quickly to the flour mixture blending until it comes together. Form into a ball, flatten to a disk and then wrap in plastic. Chill one hour.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter an 11 inch diameter tart pan with a removable bottom. Press in the dough. Freeze 15 minutes.


Line crust with foil and fill with beans or weights. Bake until sides are set-about fifteen minutes. Remove beans and foil and bake until crust is golden brown-another eight minutes or so. Transfer pan to rack and cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.


Filling:


Whisk 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with sugar, eggs, lemon juice, flour and lemon peel until well blended. Pour into crust. Bake just until filling is set-about 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack and cool completely. Chill several hours or overnight before topping and serving.

No comments: