Sunday, April 26, 2009

Baklava Muhalabiyya



Unlike ordinary baklava, this has a pastry cream filling made with semolina. I was intrigued by it for some time, but never had a recipe-now I do. You can find the recipe HERE. If you haven't already bookmarked Mercedes's blog-go ahead and do so now (I'll wait, go on). Desert Candy is the sort of blog where you end up reading and each dish sounds even better than the last. I can easily imagine people cooking their way through the blog as people do with cookbooks- cover to cover.

I flavoured the syrup with rose water, and were I to make it again, I might substitute cardamom for the cinnamon in the filling. It seems like a very adaptable recipe. I made it in stages and chilled both the syrup and filling before using. The top was indeed crisp-the bottom got a bit soggy, but really I don't think anyone cared.

This is the sort of thing you should bake on a workday because it will make much more than one family can consume (it is heavy). I think Mr. Eat The Blog will have some happy co-workers tomorrow morning.

No comments: