Monday, April 20, 2009

Brussels Sprouts Mould


I seem to only make this when I'm not feeling well. It is easy enough to do, and is excellent cold the next day. You can get the recipe HERE from the last time I made it (was sick then too, but don't worry, you don't actually need to be ailing to make one ;)

I steamed my sprouts in a bamboo steamer to prepare them, but this will work fine with frozen sprouts that have had a boil in a pan. Really, it is that versatile.

This time I made a sauce with Swiss cheese and served the whole thing over iceberg lettuce with some beautiful red globe grapes. And what do you know-everyone ate without complaint and cleared their plates. I'm serious, this is so easy, and it works with just about any vegetable (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower) you have in the fridge. You can prep a good deal of it ahead and set it in the oven an hour before you plan to serve dinner (it will need time to sit after coming out). If you don't want it for a main course, it would make a terrific side dish with something light like fish.

The best part? I didn't hear a peep about "I don't like Brussels sprouts." I won't claim the recipe will convert any die hard sprout haters, but it might help encourage a bit of tolerance.

No comments: