Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Blow the House Down

 

It really is warm enough to go sleeveless in Omaha at the moment. We're expecting mid-70s F by Wednesday, though that's coming with the threat of severe weather. I hope the models are wrong, but it looks like it might be a wild ride. For the moment though, the weather save for a brief snowshower that melted a few hours later, we've been having mild temperatures. 

As a midwesterner I know that can sometimes be followed by a couple feet of snow. The worst blizzards I saw in Chicago all followed unseasonably warm days. I'm ready either way, but getting dressed requires a bit of creative layering.

This vintage twin-set is perfect for our strange weather. 
Made in the British colony of Hong Kong, so pre-'99 at least.

The skirt is 80s by Star CCC which always sounded like it should have been Soviet! They made interesting clothes aimed at the juniors market. At first I though the skirt was a slip but then noticed it was lined. 

I always thought I didn't look good in grey but I rather like how this came together. 

I baked dairy-free, sugar-free, whole wheat Lussekatter buns. We're not Swedish, but the town where Danny spent most of his childhood was a town settled by Swedish immigrants and making these every year is a nod to his hometown. They worked, the boys liked them, and Danny has been having them toasted with jam before school. If they're happy, I'm happy. They were simple enough to make. 

He's studying for final exams next week and getting last minute assignments done. We're so proud of him, and how hard he's worked. AP classes are demanding and require a lot of work. No wonder he looks forward to PE class! A chance to blow off steam and exercise is a welcome break. He's probably going to be the first member of this family to get an A in physical education. I  certainly never put much effort into it. I was a smoker. And asthmatic. Yeah, I know, it was the 70s😁. 

I'm planning his birthday cake, but beyond that I only bought him a book that I hope will be meaningful. Anyway, my baby will be 17 soon. That doesn't seem possible. I took him Saturday for his booster jab now that it has been approved for teens. The health department was holding a clinic in the middle school lunchroom. It was surreal with all the signs on the wall for the school children. "Stay in your seat", "No touching", "No talking" it felt like we were visiting a prison rather than a school. No wonder these kids are so messed up. Our schools were old and decaying but at least we didn't have to sit in silence to eat. Hopefully it was just some Covid precaution, but I don't think it is. All that was missing was a large poster reading, "Obey."

I continue raiding my vintage collection for things to wear. This skirt, while not expressly a holiday piece works nicely in December. The shirt is a jersey knit by BCBG. It was probably expensive when new. It looked unworn when I bought it for two dollars. The shape works  with vintage and hopefully I will get loads of use from it. It is well made. 
The earrings are recently purchased vintage from the church basement thrift shop. 
The partridge in a pear tree brooch is a few years old. 

And a close-up on the skirt fabric. 
Christmas bracelet. I have a nicer one depicting the scenes of the Nativity in enameled panels. I need to find it before Christmas is over.
My skin is so dry. I do use lotions and salves but they only do so much. That's OK. We all have terrible hands right now from constant washing and hand sanitiser. Or we ought to. Don't trust anyone with nice hands in a pandemic, I guess.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a Christmas jumper, but when a really good one comes along (not the ones deliberately made to be ugly) I'll grab it. 
The woman that sold it to me didn't think I'd really wear it. Clearly, she didn't know me well enough. The inside label is dated '99.
Also, the return of my Santa Pants basket bag. Don't mind me just fumbling around in Santa's pants...
All I did was line it with holiday fabric and made a lid from the matching fabric and a piece of cardboard. 
I've started making cookies for the library friends. They'll get decorated with royal icing. I missed last year so it was really important to me to get these completed. I'm pacing myself with the project rather than doing it all in one day like previous years. I used a new recipe that has honey. They're very soft compared to the usual sugar cookie. I hope they like them. I always hesitate to stray from what has become my tradition. I'm also going to try and bring some to my friends at the state park office. That's a bit of a drive, so we'll see. They were so good to Danny when he was small and learning about birds. 

So, about me. *Shrugs* I'm a mess.

I'm starting to feel sorry for the doctor because he had to call me again asking for another diagnostic test (two actually). We've established that my esophagus isn't working correctly but in the process of figuring that out stumbled into a couple other things like poor kidney function, severe anemia, and hypoglycemia. That last one explains a lot of the weakness and dizzy spells I've been having. Who knew that a blood sugar of 50 isn't good? I guess that can happen to diabetics, but I'm not diabetic-I just live with one 😀 
I can't seem to get enough calories from food (also a problem I never imagined having) but why I'm not absorbing nutrition is anyone's guess. Anyway, that's just a quick update and I will spare you the awful details because I'm sick of thinking about it and you're undoubtedly sick of hearing about it too. Remember a few years ago when they started selling Golden Syrup in a squeezy bottle and I was all outraged about it? Yeah, I'm carrying one in my purse now for quick glucose infusion in a convenient leak-proof package. If you'd told me I'd be pouring Golden Syrup into my mouth from a squeezy bottle a year ago...ah well, been a weird year for everyone, hasn't it? 

Medicinal purposes only. Don't tell my dentist.


Well, we just got emergency weather alerts sent to our phones about tomorrow warning of dangerous winds, power outages, and debris. So far Dan's school hasn't canceled, but I'm hoping by morning they come to their senses*. I'm not looking forward to driving in a hurricane force gale. If I'm absent for a few days, assume the power is out like last time. Hopefully it won't take a week to get it back on and the tree will stay in the yard, not through the roof. Fingers crossed. See ya on the flip side. 

*They're going ahead with school. All the other districts have called off classes. This is madness but obviously a lot worse for students that walk with flying debris all around. Sigh. Gonna be a wild day.














11 comments:

Polyester Princess said...

Loving the vintage twin set, and yes, that all-grey outfit does look great on you. I think it's such an underrated colour. I'm certainly guilty of that too.
The vintage maxi skirt is gorgeous too - thanks for the close-up - and the black bell-sleeved top is perfect with it. Never mind that it is modern.
Your Santa Pants handbag always puts a smile on my face!
I'm sorry about all your health worries and I can understand that you're sick of thinking about it. I do hope they get to the root of the problem before too long. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that your weather isn't too severe and that you don't lose power! Sending hugs xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Fabulous outfits, Goody! I loved the skirt and top with the massive sleeves. The pattern on the skirt was beautiful. Love the Santa Pants bag and why wouldn't you have your hands down Santa's Pants?

I'm sorry to hear about all your health issues; I do hope they can get to the bottom of them. One always feels better when a diagnosis has been made - at least one can now name what ails one...

The biscuits - both sorts looked yummy!

Fingers crossed the storm isn't too bad and that you keep the power on.
xxx

Emily said...

The lussekatter looks picture-perfect like it was prepared by a professional food stylist working for a magazine. Can't wait to see how the sugar cookies turn out after you've decorated them. You have such a talent for this.

You look elegant in that grey outfit, and I really love the dramatic black blouse with the wide bell sleeves. It looks like it will go with just about anything.

I can't believe Dan is almost 17. It seems like just yesterday that he was still a kid.

I am sorry to hear you didn't get better news from the doctors, but at least they are a step closer to treating all your symptoms now. Stay persistent and have faith that you will feel better in the near future.

Drive carefully tomorrow and let's hope that the weather isn't too drastic in either direction.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading the national weather reports and think of you when I see concerning weather reports in the midwest. I would have just ignored them in the past before I started reading your blog. I am hoping not much will develop from this weather event for you.

You look beautiful in the very elegant jersey knit skirt and bell sleeve top.

Your Santa pant purse gave me a big smile too.

Best wishes,
Gail from Pa.

Bibi Maizoon said...

I think the gray looks very chic on you and the BCBG top is divine!
When I had an MRSA infection on my leg about 5 yrs ago the medical students in the teaching hospital had lots of fun running every possible diagnostic on me. I was horrified to find out I was severely anemic and vitamin D deficient. I had to give up my vegan aspirations and seriously amp up my vitamin and mineral supplements. The good news was that with supplements all deficiencies were corrected and my leg healed completely. Glad to hear the docs are treating you well and it sounds like they are on the right path !
Our Danny is 17? Nooo he’s just a baby! Bravo for him taking the AP courses!
Do hope you be sharing the honey cookie recipe.
Xox

bahnwärterin said...

hope the storm was´t as monstrous as feared.....

thank you for all the very inspirational festive wear! thanx to you i´m on a red trip lately - even if i´m denying that the looks are x-massy ;-D
totallylove the necklibe of the black top! and the attached brooch is to cute for words <3

your bake looks delicious.....

still fingers crossed for your health - and it´s good to have doctors who really search for causes instead just giving a ton of pills right after the first appointment.

stay brave! xxxx

Vix said...

Loving the bell-sleeved top with the woven skirt!
We're having similarly mild weather but as Jon's just mentioned doing some work on Gilbert it's bound the snow as soon as he starts.
I hope they get to the bottom of your health problems soon, I'm glad they're being so thorough with the testing although it must be really draining for you. xxx

Beth Waltz said...

"Enchanting!" describes the BCBG knit top's neckline and sleeves. Those high winds have swooshed it through a time tunnel/wormhole from a medieval party and popped it out in Omaha, with a scrap of illuminated manuscript depicting a partridge in a pear tree still attached. (Glad you provided a close-up of the skirt fabric so we could catch its metallic glint.)

Kudos to your medical team for pushing your tests through a system that is being forced to give priority to Covid patients! I agree with Bibi, it's time to review your menu options. How about some calorie-laden Teutonic treats? Egg nog mit heavy cream? A hearty dark beer? Root veg mash with a pound of butter? Or do the "crazy results" of your DNA test point to another continent?

We need to find a flask for that medicinal Golden Syrup...something on a cross-body chain, perhaps.

Señora Allnut said...

So lovely to see back all your festive brooches and clothes, and jokes about Santa Pants!. You totally rock it!.

Hope the doctors can find and treat whatever is causing these symptoms and glad that they're trying hard and taking care of you.
And hope the storms respect your home and your family!. The weather news are so alarming!
besos

Goody said...

@Ann
We didn't lose power. We were surrounded by tornadoes though, and spent about 30 minutes taking cover in the basement. This is insane weather for December. When all was said and done there were 20 (!) tornadoes across our part of Nebraska/Iowa.

@Vronni
I didn't expect Santa Pants to be so popular when I carry it. After Christmas I'm going to try painting on a clear polyurethane coating to extend the bag's life/ Anything that brings a smile to people these days is worth it.

@Emily
Thank you. I have to get used to things looking much different and being different. I did so little this year that I really wanted to make what did come out of the kitchen special.
Yeah, he's gone and turned into an adult!?! I'm absolutely outraged that I can't pick him up under one arm and carry him up to his room anymore.

@Gail
Thank you. We got through it fine with nothing more than a few scary moments. Tornadoes are part of life in the Midwest (we took a direct hit from one in 2008) but not in December. That was definitely a first.

@Bibi
Vitamins can do some pretty amazing stuff. Glad you were able to get that sorted out.
That kid still has another year at home, but yes it went quick.
I'll get the honey cookie recipe up but if you have the Red Betty Crocker Cookbook from the 50s, it is the Christmas cookie recipe made with honey instead of molasses. Price wise I think it was a draw because honey is super expensive now, but had I made butter cookies, butter is like 6 bucks a pound. So hard to know which was more economical.

@Beate
It was a wild afternoon/evening but then the storms blew out quickly and the next day it was like nothing happened (except for the places tornadoes touched down, obviously). It is much nicer riding storms out at this house with a basement than on the farm with our dirt storm cellar under the mudroom. I don't like sharing my shelter with mice and snakes.

@Vix
That's similar to the rule about washing your windows bringing a blizzard. Who knows what to expect with our seasons now? We've entered unpredictable times.

@Beth
So far the best thing I've had is a salted caramel gelato from the local hippie health food store. If it weren't six dollars a pint, I'd live on it. I bought some chocolate hummous which I haven't tried yet but it might be good. Supposed to taste like brownies.
I'm chugging the drinks because that's the most efficient delivery system but man, that is some disgusting stuff
I think the most exciting part of my DNA was finding out I'm part Czech. That definitely wasn't on my radar. I told Danny he has to do one more State Fair before he moves to Europe just so he can try for a blue ribbon on kolaches. He gave me a look-but I have until summer to try convincing him.

@Monica
We made it through the storms OK!
What strange weather we're all having. You stay safe in your freezing fog. I hate driving in that.



Sheila said...

Reading your responses above, I'm glad you are safe and sound, Goody. Tornados - crazy! I'm over on the west coast of Canada, and we've merely had "atmospheric rivers" (aka sh*tloads of rain). Happy birthday to your son! Those twisted buns look SO good.

On to the outfits!

Love the silvery-grey ensemble. It looks great on you. I appreciate the label shot (I love labels). I worked in a women's clothing store in the late 90s, and I remember selling tons of twinsets like this, so I think it's from that era.

The off-the-shoulder BCBG looks awesome on you - what fabulous sleeves! They do have solid quality items. We had a store here for years, and I often find new-with-tags dressy items in thrift stores. Love that fun skirt (thanks for the close-up of the pattern).

Your "ugly" seater is wonderful - I dislike the "on purpose" ugly ones. Why would you buy a new one when there are already so many out there second hand? I laughed at the Santa pants basket. Love it!

The green/black velvet outfit is so elegant. I love how many seasonal pieces of jewelry you have! I have only a few but I make sure I rotate them in at least once a year.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you can find something to help you keep your calories. Sending you good vibes and peace and joy for the holiday season.